Wending my way

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Wending
xcskiforum 10K

Wending my way

Postby Wending » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi, I'm Wendy. I have a question, but figured it would be polite to introduce myself first. I live in Freeport, Maine and ski throughout Maine and New Hampshire with Pineland (Maine), Jackson (NH) and Sugarloaf Outdoor Center (Maine) being frequent haunts. I primarily skate, but still have a pair of classics. Also just borrowed a pair of wicked old back-country skis to try out, since I have a few friends who are coaxing me into alpine areas. (Yeah, "wicked old" —what can I say, I grew up in New England.) Now to the General Discussion for my question...
me-skiing-300.jpg
me-skiing-300.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 797 times
I do things with pixels, code, ink, paint, wood, music, dirt, snow and garlic. Usually not at once.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Wending my way

Postby TooHeavy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Wendy.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Always great to see another New Englander here!

For people who are not familiar with New England, Wendy is fortunate to be able to get frequently to Jackson and Sugarloaf! Sugarloaf, in particular, is beyond day-trip range from most of New England - but worth the trip.

Lew

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Wendy :-)

Wending
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Wending » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm

So Lew, I'm also interested in Vermont. I'm guessing you're familiar with both Trapp Family Lodge and Craftsbury. Do you have any thoughts on which would be better for a long weekend? (In general, not this year.) Maybe both? And how about Ole's? (Okay, maybe a very long weekend...).
I do things with pixels, code, ink, paint, wood, music, dirt, snow and garlic. Usually not at once.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Wending wrote:Trapp Family Lodge and Craftsbury. Do you have any thoughts on which would be better for a long weekend? (In general, not this year.) Maybe both? And how about Ole's?

Stowe - taking into consideration both Trapp's and the adjacent Stowe Mountain Resort (i.e, "Mansfield") cross-country area - and Craftsbury could each keep you busy for a long weekend. The main difference is the terrain: Stowe has bigger hills, Craftsbury is more "rolling", and also has the very flat trails on the lakes. Craftsbury also offers the possibility of a 20 km one-way ski tour from Highland Lodge to the Craftsbury Outdoor Center, conditions permitting, and they'll give you a ride up to Highland Lodge. Stowe has more possibilities for backcountry skiing, if you're into that. Oh, and also, if you get a trail pass at Mansfield you can ride up one of the lifts at the adjacent alpine area, which can also be fun.

Craftsbury has on-trail accommodations, which are cheaper than staying at the Trapp Family Lodge, but, if you don't need on-trail accommodations, Stowe has (a lot!) more lodging and dining choices, at a variety of price points.

Ole's is nice, but I don't think it's worth traveling to. The other somewhat-nearby cross-country area that I like (when they have snow) is Sleepy Hollow in Huntington.

But another winning combination is doing Stowe and Craftsbury in the same weekend. About a 45-50-minute drive from Stowe to Craftsbury.

Lew

Return to “Introduce Yourself”