(WI) Underdown Rec Area 2010-2011

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, U.P., Illinois, Iowa

Moderator: Moderator Group

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

(WI) Underdown Rec Area 2010-2011

Postby fishskicanoe » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:17 pm

As nice a day of double track, Up North classical skiing as a person could wish for. Both the kids (one of whom leaves for Cape May, NJ Monday for Coast Guard boot camp) used Start TapeGrip and it seemed to work very well on the same snow that was like silk under my Blue waxed Peltonens. One of the first clear days we've had in a couple of weeks. Just about perfect.

Snow snow snow!

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

1/30/2011

Postby fishskicanoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Back up to Underdown. Nice day, about 20° with an occasional patch of sun alternating with some very light snow flurries. They usually groom Underdown on Thursdays. We picked up about 3" of dense, cold snow Friday and Friday night. The tracks therefore were a little soft. In areas where the groomed track had been shallow the skier packed tracks over the groomed ones were a bit higher than the edges and and a little unstable. The soft snow also meant there was a minuscule amount of slip before the ski grabbed hold due to top layer sheer. This was somewhat disconcerting to my 13 year old, who is used to a harder track. But he soon adapted and had a great day out.

My wife skied her old Epoke 900's with Rex Universal TapeGrip, her first time with that wax. She was very pleased with its performance. I went with Extra Blue on my Fischers and found that to work well also. It was cool that even though the parking lot held a dozen or so cars we ran into no one on the trails. People we talked to in the parking lot were from all over the State.

Snow snow snow!

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

Postby fishskicanoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Tracks were fast, icy in spots. Blue klister worked o.k. but a little green mixed in might have been better. Fell more today than I have in years. Uffda. Still fun though. Fresh snow predicted for this week. If the county grooms one more time on Thursday it should be fantastic next weekend.

Snow snow snow!

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

March 27th

Postby fishskicanoe » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:43 pm

This has got to be the latest they've ever groomed Underdown. We had lost most of our snow before the 12" dump last week. The county tracked the new, deep snow on Friday and we skied it on Sunday. With the bright sun and 28° temps the trail was variable. Soft and slower in the shade, slushy and crunchy on the sunny slopes. Hard wax over a klister base worked o.k.. Slow and fast, depending on the snow underfoot. But it was beautiful and fun. The angle of light was different from what I'm used to when skiing. It reminded me of trips up to Colorado's Winter Park back in the 80's when I'd be the only person on the nordic trails in April. A great way to end the season. Thank you, Lincoln County forestry personnel!

Snow snow snow!

addseo1115
xcskiforum 10K

Re: (WI) Underdown Rec Area 2010-2011

Postby addseo1115 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:26 pm

But he soon adapted and had a great day out.
จีคลับผ่านเว็บ

Return to “Midwest”