michigan trails

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, U.P., Illinois, Iowa

Moderator: Moderator Group

tellcat
xcskiforum 10K

michigan trails

Postby tellcat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:05 pm

If one were to spend a month(jan.) in Michigan skiing-what town would be the best central location within a short drive(hour or so) of many trails?

FrontRunner
xcskiforum 10K

Re: michigan trails

Postby FrontRunner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 am

Traverse City...Vasa Trail...Hanson Hills....Forbush.....Boyne Mt....Crystal Mt.....Sand Lakes Quiet Area......Just to name a few within an hour or so.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 am

Houghton.

You got Chassell, Swedetown, MTU, Churning Rapids, and Massto Hitto all right by.

You're also easily within striking distance of all the Marquette trails along with everything out near the porkies and ARB. Even northern WI could be a reasonable day trip.

Also a good place to spend a month.

Or 16 years. :D

tellcat
xcskiforum 10K

Postby tellcat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

thanks for your replies-looking ahead to retirement when i can devote serious time - may have to consider wisconsin as well- the hard part will be finding lodging for a month at a time

the_doctor
xcskiforum 10K

Postby the_doctor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:19 am

FrontRunner wrote:Traverse City...Vasa Trail...Hanson Hills....Forbush.....Boyne Mt....Crystal Mt.....Sand Lakes Quiet Area......Just to name a few within an hour or so.

Do these get a lot of snow? Is snow consistently there in December through Feb? Are there any ski resorts out there? I have yet to visit Michigan and I think that Michigan deserves consideration. I've been always trying to visit every state.

thanks
bill

tellcat
xcskiforum 10K

Postby tellcat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:38 pm

i can't speak for michiganders-but it seems they often get a lot of lake effect snow off lake michigan
from what i've seen there are several parks and forests- state, national, metro, county, etc.
what i don't know is how michigan balances the demand for snow with snowmobilers- if they share, or
are the trails seperate?

FrontRunner
xcskiforum 10K

Postby FrontRunner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 am

Houghton....December 99% of the time....Traverse City 90% in December.....this year was one of the few exceptions, although there was snow, but marginal conditions mostly on golf courses.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:15 am

tellcat wrote:what i don't know is how michigan balances the demand for snow with snowmobilers- if they share, or
are the trails seperate?

Can only speak for the UP, but-

"Official" trails are very much separate.

As for unofficial trails, well- there's more than enough snow and terrain available that we rarely cross paths. The overlap between good skiing and good snowmobiling is pretty small anyway.

Return to “Midwest”