WI-Birkie Trail

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, U.P., Illinois, Iowa

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

WI-Birkie Trail

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

I skied late Wed, Thr and today. The conditions on Wed were very skiable, but there was a lot of tree litter on the trail. I started north on the classic trail and skied back on the Birkie Trail. Both are lumpy, but I'd say the Birkie Trail is a bit smoother. The branches left a few marks in the skis, but nothing bad.

Overnight on Wed, the trail got an inch of snow. It looks like a different trail and it skied great (OO to the Powerline) on Thr. That morning, the groomer was out with a poly tube "rolling" the trail but the tube bounces and the trail has enough dips and bumps that the tube doesn't do a lot. (I was hiking the snowshoe trails at the time wiht JJ.)

Today I headed south for just a bit (31 minutes on the south side) and then skied north again to the powerlines. About the time I was thinking it's possible to ski with good skis, I heard a "zip" and I was missing a little petex. I went back and chiseled out the rock. On the way back I spotted a couple of large rock outcroppings that are not covered yet. So, while it's possible to use good skis and not damage them, I'd leave the good skis in the car. Also, the trail is lumpy enough that it kind of feel it's hard on the camber to put the skis through this workout. Right now there's no real point to using the good skis.

Based on a couple of "critter holes' in the snow, I'd say there's about 3-4" of base, less under the pines and a little more in shade spots. There seems to be a little better conditions on the north side and less ruts (summer erosion).

Right now I'd say they can not put in a classic track without bringing up a lot of dirt. My opinion is it would ruin the track (due to dirt). People were out classic skiing without tracks, but they need more snow before they can till and set tracks. If Seeley Hills were held this weekend, I'd push for no tracks.

At the 3 hr mark in today's workout (or almost 8 hrs in three days) I found myself literally in the middle of a Duluth East inverval session, so I picked up the pace a bit on the final climb.

Jay (zippy)

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Re: WI-Birkie Trail

Postby E365 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:08 am

As of right now Hayward is forecast to get 5"-11" of snow over the weekend! Ive been waiting for more snow to make a trip up there so I can classic ski it.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Re: WI-Birkie Trail

Postby E365 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 am

24 Jan. 2012

About perfect for classic skiing! I hear the skate lane was soft today but the classic tracks were pristine. Went round trip from "00" North to the 9km sign and back, all on the classic trail. The trail was not yet groomed full-width but it worked for now. I saw just a little debris (or dirt?) under the most dense canopy, but that was about 8 total feet of the trail - nothing to worry about. Way better than I saw during the Seeley Hills Classic.

Return to “Midwest”