Warm day waxing

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, U.P., Illinois, Iowa

Moderator: Moderator Group

Chad Austin
xcskiforum 20K

Warm day waxing

Postby Chad Austin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Anyone try skiing in the Twin Cities yesterday afternoon when it was in the 30s? What kind of wax did/would you use? I used Fast Wax red and I was very frustrated. I'm a fairly new skier and I don't know if that's just normal for those conditions or if I different wax would have made it better.

Thanks.

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

Postby fishskicanoe » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm

If the snow was a sloppy wet as it was in central Wisconsin I'd guess that base structure may have played a part.
Snow snow snow!

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:21 am

Are we talking skating?

Probably lots of water content + dirt -> lots of structure + lots of fluoro.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

enevala
World Cup

Re: Warm day waxing

Postby enevala » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 am

Chad Austin wrote:Anyone try skiing in the Twin Cities yesterday afternoon when it was in the 30s? What kind of wax did/would you use? I used Fast Wax red and I was very frustrated. I'm a fairly new skier and I don't know if that's just normal for those conditions or if I different wax would have made it better.

Thanks.

What specifically was the frustrating part?? Snow in the conditions that we had this last Friday can be frustrating on many levels.

1. High moisture content- As the snow melts, there is a lot of water involved. A high floro wax (Fast wax Salmon) will make the skis more hydrophobic and give better glide (I've been liking their high flour pastewax this season FWIW). High moisture conditions can be positively impacted by structure as well. Adding structure to your ski bases can break up the suction caused by too much water under the ski.

2. Surface conditions- As the snow melts, the trail surface becomes softer, you begin to sink as you glide. Depending on where you ski, this may be more or less of an issue. A more heavily groomed/packed trail will stay firmer longer than a less heavily packed one.

Chad Austin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Chad Austin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Yeah I was referring to skating. The frustrating part is that it was just super slow. Even going down a hill it felt like I could go head over heels and any second. I hate to say it, but it wasn't even enjoyable.

I guess I don't know enough about structure and how easy it is to change for a warm day and then back for a cold day. I only have 1 pair of skis, so it's not like I can switch back and forth between a warm pair of skis and a cold pair. And is it even worth it because the next day it was cold and everything was an ice rink. I guess I would have just been better off by skiing in the morning instead of the afternoon.

Return to “Midwest”