Windblown ski touring center in New Ipswich, New Hampshire

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

Too lazy to groom

Postby LewLasher » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Windblown is reporting 24-30" of new snow ... but they are not planning to open this week.

LewLasher
World Cup

15 Mar 2018

Postby LewLasher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 pm

I skied at Windblown yesterday. Conditions were generally good to very good. Ample snow depth almost everywhere, with just a few exceptions.

Unfortunately, I do have a gripe with the conditions report on the Windblown Web site. In particular, the statements "40 K open" and "100% open". The more accurate statements are "10 K tracked" and "10 K skate-groomed." There are 3 problems with "100% open". First, it includes all of the ungroomed backcountry trails, without regard to whether those trails are in skiable condition. (A guy on AT gear with skins reported that the trail he had skinned uphill on was not in skiable condition below East View Crossover.) (Jackson and Waterville Valley also used to inflate their "open" statistics this way.) Second, there were a number of trails that are ordinarily groomed, but which were not groomed yesterday (perhaps they are saving them for the weekend?) and therefore not skiable, such as Back Forty, Turn Around, and the lower half of Side Hill Slide. Thirdly, there was in fact one trail (the outer portion of Stagecoach) with a "Trail Closed" sign at one end (which I learned, to my chagrin, after breaking trail from the end that did not have any "Trail Closed" sign.

On the positive side, it had been a long time since I had skied up and down the entire Zig-Zag trail. And I skied all but the topmost segment of the Open Slope. The only backcountry trail I attempted was the East View Crossover traverse. After 2 round trips breaking trail, I would deem it "skier-groomed." And I also enjoyed the (groomed) Old Farm trail which I seldom get around to skiing.

Return to “NorthEast”