VT - Stowe - 2018-2019

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2018-2019

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2018-2019 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

16 Nov 2018 - Stowe Rec Path

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm

I skied today on the Stowe Recreation Path from Towne Farm Lane (i.e., Sushi Yoshi) to Stowe village and back. Conditions were consistently good. About 5 inches of non-wet snow. By the time I started, the Rec Path had been skier-groomed up to Weeks Hill Road. After that, there had been a lot of pedestrian traffic, but the snow depth and quality was such that it didn't matter. At one point, a father was dragging his very young child on a small plastic sled, and that created a footstep-free surface for a section of trail.

In Stowe Village, I stopped to get an ice cream soda. Not something I would usually do, but, after all, it was the best conditions of the season.

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: 16 Nov 2018

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Meanwhile, Trapp's reports 35 km groomed today.

LewLasher
World Cup

30 Nov 2018

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Today I skied at Trapps. Conditions were generally good. Almost all trails were open, the main exceptions being the Haul Road below the Oslo trail and the Morrison Corner trail. Tuesday's snow was a little on the wet side, but it groomed up to an acceptable surface, with very little skier traffic today. By tomorrow afternoon it will probably be an icy nightmare, and then on Sunday it's going to rain anyway.

In local racing news, the Stowe Derby (a 20 km combined alpine/cross-country race, dating back to a 1945 "personal challenge") has been rescheduled this year to January 13, although they are keeping the traditional late-February date (February 24) as a contingency plan in case of unskiable conditions in mid-January.

LewLasher
World Cup

7 Dec 2018

Postby LewLasher » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm

I skied at Trapp's today. Conditions were fair to good, which is a typical thing you might expect me to say this time of year. But usually the differentiator is elevation. Today it was the tracks that had the worse conditions, pretty much irrespective of elevation.

There has only been a little snow since last Sunday's rain, but almost all the trails re-opened. Hare Line is open again but with a warning about "wet spots" (what I would call "water features").

No snow in the forecast for the next 7 days.

Return to “NorthEast”