VT - Stowe - 2018-2019

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

gradualstudent
xcskiforum 10K

Re: VT - Stowe - 2018-2019

Post by gradualstudent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Went with my kids to Stowe this February, both Mansfield Touring Center (part of Stowe Resort) and Von Trapp Family Lodge were really magical. The teenager only likes downhill now and for her XC skiing is only about climbing black trails to get another downhill fix, so after the first day we dropped her at the mountain with a friend.

Our younger one loves XC but I suspect it's mainly because she can now go faster than her parents and gets hot chocolate at the cabin atop von Trapp.

But on the way back from the cabin she experienced a gorgeous three mile downhill run back to the lodge down Parizo's trail and Sugar Road, and I'm afraid we will soon have another downhill skier on our hands.

LewLasher
World Cup

Post by LewLasher » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:31 pm

gradualstudent wrote:Our younger one loves XC but I suspect it's mainly because she can now go faster than her parents and gets hot chocolate at the cabin atop von Trapp.
Speaking as someone who probably cannot go faster than her parents, I'd say that the cabin, alone, is enough of a reason to love XC.
gradualstudent wrote:on the way back from the cabin she experienced a gorgeous three mile downhill run back to the lodge down Parizo's
I've been negligent with trip reports, but the last 4 days have been the best conditions of this whole season: there is neither ice nor powder, so you can zoom down trails such as Parizo and stay in control the whole way.

LewLasher
World Cup

Trapp race course: 8 Mar 2019

Post by LewLasher » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Today was an unusual day for me: it was the first day this season I skied at Trapp's but did not ski up to the cabin. Instead, I skied the 5K race course, after the conclusion of the nordic races for the NCAA college ski championships which are being held in Stowe this week.

The typical, most direct route to the cabin is also 5K, but in other respects that tour is the opposite of the race course. Going to the cabin is, to repeat myself, a direct route from one place to another, whereas the race course loops around and around and around and you finish where you started. And you pass by the sugarhouse at least 3 times. So, there is no sense that you are actually going anywhere. But the race course also includes some loops in the open field, which does provide some nice scenic views of the hills and mountains. And there's all those buckets on the maple trees. The other big difference is that the direct route up to the cabin has 750 feet of up and virtually no down, but the race course is constantly alternating between up and down.

LewLasher
World Cup

18 Mar 2019

Post by LewLasher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 am

Skied at Trapps again. All trails open, and definitely skiable, but not as good as a week ago. I'd call it fair to good at lower elevations and good at higher elevations. I did not feel the necessity of using metal edges, but I think I would have enjoyed skiing with metal edges.

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am

Hey Lew I did stay/ski at Craftsbury last week for 4 days. Enjoyed it very much and the entire setup there. Great folks, meals, trails, snow, advice and some excellent athletes. So thanks for the advice and coaxing to go there.

Sort of related question and that is advice on skis with metal edges. I certainly seem to get much more use out of my light touring skis than I do my race skis. Are skis with metal edges something worth adding to the collection? The last two winters in SE Pennsylvania have been weak but there are other times when it gets decent snow/ice. In the long run I'm just interested in the workouts and not so concerned about speed. I think I have good form but just not that quick on the skis sure not getting any younger..

Thanks/Pat

LewLasher
World Cup

Post by LewLasher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 am

Pat wrote: Are skis with metal edges something worth adding
To answer that, you have to estimate how many days a year it would be worth skiing with metal edges. Which means estimating the amount of time when the trails are somewhat icy, but not totally iced over. If the surface is really like an ice cube, you probably don't want to even try to ski. The times I use metal edges are when there is enough snow on the flats that I can still get grip, but the hills have less snow, generally because other skiers scraped it off. Metal edges are not going to give you grip, but they will help on the hills.