VT - Stowe - 2009-2010

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2009-2010

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:15 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2009-2010 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

Trapp's about half open

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

After yesterday's "soft open", Trapp's opened about 30 km of trail today, of which about half was tracked. Conditions generally good. Trails are open up to the cabin (and 2 loops at that elevation: Slayton Pasture and Oslo/Bobcat), but the cabin itself probably won't open for another week.

They're still doing snowmaking, even though it isn't strictly necessary right now.

LewLasher
World Cup

SMR and Trapp's both in decent shape

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Yesterday I skied at the Stowe Mountain Resort trails and today at Trapp's. Conditions are generally good, with just a handful of icy spots, but also generally fast on the downhills.

The weather forecast gives some hope of a little snow in the next few days. Just a little snow would make a big difference right now, though.

LewLasher
World Cup

Good for next 3 days

Postby LewLasher » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Little bit of snow yesterday and today was just what we needed. Trapp's opened up the lower Haul Road, except for the Chute. In general conditions are more forgiving than the last few days.

But then there's "mixed precipitation" scheduled for this coming weekend. This could be bad, but it's hard to forecast, so we won't know until it gets here.

LewLasher
World Cup

Weather roller coaster

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:06 am

Yesterday temperatures were up in the 30s and there was a few hours of light rain. Today, just below freezing, and light snow (forecast is for 2-4" during the day, and an additional 1-2" overnight). Then tomorrow: maybe a little more snow, and then the temperatures plummet. Cold through the week, next chance of snow on Friday (first day of 2010).

LewLasher
World Cup

Survived first thaw of the season

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:26 pm

I skied at Trapp's today. There were some icy spots, but conditions were still fair to good in general. No trails had to close due to yesterday's rain. It snowed most of the day today. A little more snow tomorrow morning would improve things.

LewLasher
World Cup

We don't need no stinkin' Nor'easter

Postby LewLasher » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:21 pm

The big coastal storm disappeared. But we are still in a typical winter pattern now of getting a couple of inches of snow each day, which is good enough.

Conditions at Stowe Mt Resort and Trapp's today were good to very good.

Some people are already heading out on backcountry trails, although I still think it's a little early for that. I did ski a kilometer or two today on upper Old Camp, which is ungroomed and therefore sort of like a backcountry trail, I guess. Some of the little stream crossings could use a little more snow, but the biggest problem is the one stream crossing with a bridge, where part of the bridge (one plank, but it's a wide plank) has collapsed. I managed it uphill, but I'd hate to test that out in the downhill direction.

LewLasher
World Cup

Survived thaw #2

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Some light rain on Friday, and temperatures have been hovering around freezing ever since. But conditions not bad today at Trapp's. One significant trail anomaly on the 40-year trail (my first time skiing it this year). Conditions were mostly slow, but maybe a little fast on the Haul Road Chute (first time skiing that this year, too).

LewLasher
World Cup

Survived thaw #3

Postby LewLasher » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Thaw #3 was a drenching downpour on Monday, but you'd never know it, from today's conditions - consistently very good. Couple of icy spots, but I was surprised not to see gaps in the snow coverage. I'm not ready to say "bring it on" to tempt any more big thaws, but the snow depth remains good.

LewLasher
World Cup

Still hanging in there

Postby LewLasher » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Skied at Trapp's today. Conditions still in the "very good" range.

Considering there hasn't been a major snowstorm around since here since I can't remember, the conditions have been holding up very well. There was a sort of stormlet on Monday, but conditions have not improved significantly since then. But at least we have all the trails open+tracked.

The Dartmouth College Winter Carnival had to have their cross-country ski races at Trapp's today (and tomorrow), because they don't have enough snow down there, about 75 miles from here.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Snowed today. Just a couple of inches, but it has been a while since I've seen snow while skiing.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Yesterday evening there were a few hours of light rain before it changed over to snow, so today there was some fresh snow but also some fresh moisture. I had to apply product to my waxless skis, and then I was OK.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Some new snow during the week, then rain yesterday. Warm today, conditions fair-to-good but deteriorating. Hoping for more snow tomorrow.

LewLasher
World Cup

Conditions are ... changeable

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 pm

We did get some snow overnight, but it was wet snow. It looks good on the trees, and I'm sure it has some practical use, perhaps in snowballs, snowforts, or other snow-based warfare. But it was tricky to ski on. In the morning, it kept sticking to my (waxless) skis. In the afternoon, it had gotten all packed down into a more manageable, ice-like, surface.

Tomorrow's snow will be anyone's guess.

The big local race tomorrow is the Stowe Derby, the first 1/3 of which is all downhill on an alpine ski trail. Good luck to anyone trying to wax for tomorrow's Derby.

LewLasher
World Cup

Yes, I skied today, but not sure how many more days

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Conditions at Trapp's and SMR were fair to poor, mostly icy, but, in the afternoon, supplemented by occasional slush in sunny areas. On the positive side, the snow/ice pack is still pretty much intact.

Warmer weather the next 2 days, then 3 days of chance-of-rain. Doesn't look very good.

The only hope is that, given that I just swapped off my snow tires this afternoon, we're due for a Philadelphia-sized blizzard.

Return to “NorthEast”