Where to Ski?

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Where to Ski?

Postby worm-rider » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I live in Worcester, Mass and would like to get a little further north this weekend (if it doesn't rain everywhere). We've spent a lot of time at Windblown (love it) and are looking for recommendations for places further out but within a 3 or so hour drive that would be worth the trip this time of year.

Thanks for any help -

Kes

LewLasher
World Cup

Waterville Valley

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 am

The next place to try after Windblown is Waterville Valley. (It's about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours from Boston, so it should be within 3 hours or so from Worcester.)

The trail system at Waterville Valley is larger than that at Windblown, and the snow is generally more reliable. The trails are well designed, well-marked, and well-maintained.

The only bad thing I can say about Waterville Valley is the ambiance. Whereas Windblown is very clearly a Mom+Pop kind of place, Waterville Valley's appearance is more corporate/suburban. Some of the trails give an excellent close-up view of the many condominium developments in the destination resort community. (10-15 minutes later, you are out of suburbia, but the memory lingers.) The touring center is located in a plate-glass storefront in the Waterville Valley shopping center (obscenely named "Town Square" and equipped with a fake bell tower that plays recorded music).

Getting back to the positives, the Web site for Waterville Valley gives a detailed description of ski conditions.

Good luck, though, with the 50% chance of rain this coming Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks Lew - Any recs for something a little more rustic but still beginner friendly?

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

worm-rider wrote:Thanks Lew - Any recs for something a little more rustic but still beginner friendly?

Not really. There just aren't a lot of good places with groomed trails within a few hours of Worcester. Northfield Mountain (Northfield, Massachusetts) is closed for the season.

I hope I didn't scare you away from Waterville Valley because of the tackiness factor. It's a great place to ski, and the scenery is actually very nice once you're 5-10 minutes away from the touring center.

I don't think it's worth it to drive the extra distance to Prospect Mountain (Woodford, Vermont) or Bretton Woods (New Hampshire), let alone Jackson (New Hampshire).

LewLasher
World Cup

Saturday is looking better

Postby LewLasher » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 am

According to the newest weather forecasts, northern New England won't get rain on Friday or Saturday, so it looks like Saturday would be an ideal day to make the trip up north.

CCxcskier
xcskiforum 10K

where to ski?

Postby CCxcskier » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:50 am

Worm-rider,

Wonder where you ended up skiing?

Viking would also fit the criteria you laid out. They are still open and less than 3 hours from Worcester.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Great Glen - further than planned, but it was great.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

worm-rider wrote:Great Glen - further than planned, but it was great

Was it better than Jackson, which you go right past on the way to Great Glen?

Great Glen is at higher elevation, so it's quite possible that it was. Great Glen is still open now, and Jackson is closed.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Once again, I'm looking for recommendations about places to ski a little further afield from central-Mass. This time last year we went up and skiied Great Glen and it was great. In fact, I have a hotel booked in Jackson for next Thursday - Sat., but now it looks like it may rain over there so I'm having second thoughts. It's snowing in VT right now, so maybe we need to head that way.

Thanks for any ideas.

LewLasher
World Cup

Forget it, Jake - it's New England weather

Postby LewLasher » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:42 pm

worm-rider wrote:I have a hotel booked in Jackson for next Thursday - Sat., but now it looks like it may rain over there so I'm having second thoughts. It's snowing in VT right now, so maybe we need to head that way.

It's snowing in northern NH now, too, so that is not a basis on which to make a decision.

You're trying to make a decision based on what the weather is going to be 4-6 days from now, and the long-term forecasts just aren't that accurate.

The forecast is slightly better in Vermont than in New Hampshire, but only slightly better: "rain or snow" is possible Thursday afternoon through Saturday in Vermont, whereas, in New Hampshire, the possibly precipitation for Friday and Saturday is just rain.

Higher elevation works to your advantage, so, if you go to Jackson, you have the option of going to Great Glen, or, if you go to Stowe, you have the option of going to Bolton Valley.

Aside from that, I'd say it's just a roll of the dice.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Postby worm-rider » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks Lew - I over-analyze these things since this is our one chance of getting away as a family to ski for the season.

Return to “NorthEast”