VT - Stowe - 2010-2011

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2010-2011

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2010-2011 skiing season.

While waiting for the 2010-2011 season to start, here are some fun facts:
    The Trapp brewery, which was delayed all last winter, is
    actually open now

The Trapp racecourse got official FIS certification, and will be
    the site of the NCAA races in March

For those who don't want to pay high northeastern trail fees,
    the town Recreation Path (i.e., bike path) is supposedly going
    to be groomed - and there are supposed to be signs telling
    people not to walk on the tracks

Both the Trapp and Stowe Mt Resort Web sites mention
    something about new yurts - not sure what that's all about

LewLasher
World Cup

Still waiting for the official "Opening Day"

Postby LewLasher » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm

There's finally enough snow to ski on in Stowe. But the touring centers had to groom the trails today. Trapp plans to open tomorrow (Wed 8 Dec), Stowe Mt Resort by Saturday. (Trapp was also using their seemingly unnecessary snowmaking equipment today.)

In the meantime, people were skiing today on the Recreation Path (especially from Luce Hill Road towards the mountain) and on the unplowed part of Route 108 over Smugglers Notch.

LewLasher
World Cup

Best conditions of the season

Postby LewLasher » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 am

Trapp opened today with an announced 20 km. They didn't have a map showing exactly which trails were open (I'll give them some slack, since they were pretty busy today), though. Sugar Road was tracked (and was in great shape). The race course/maze was packed but not tracked. It was not clear whether anything was open above Picnic Knoll; the word was that the snow was too deep and fluffy to groom.

LewLasher
World Cup

Après le déluge

Postby LewLasher » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Skied today at Stowe Mt Resort. Conditions were good to fair, with scattered icy spots. Some trails (e.g., Timber Lane) were tracked, others (e.g., Houston) skate-groomed.

Trapp's is also recovering well from last Sunday's washout. They have trails open up to the cabin, which is going to be open tomorrow.

The Rec Path is skate-groomed.

LewLasher
World Cup

Hoping for a little more snow

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:45 pm

I skied again at Stowe Mt Resort yesterday, then today at Trapp's.
Coverage is adequate, conditions are good to fair. But we really need at least a few inches of fresh snow, which there is a chance of getting in the next 48 hours.

(At least we have trails open. Not a lot of other touring centers have opened yet in New England. Trapp's seems to be the default training ground lately for skiers from a number of colleges, prep schools, and ski academies.)

At SMR, I skied the westernmost section of Bear Run, which was fast and bumpy.

At Trapp's, there were tracks (and good conditions) on Sugar Road, Fox Track, Telemark, and Russel Knoll Track. I didn't try any of the upper trails, but they're recommending 40-Year Trail to the cabin, which is open. Also open are Slayton Pasture, Oslo, Bobcat, and the upper Haul Road. And, incidentally, the connector (Ranch Camp) trail.

At lower elevations, conditions were only fair on Deer Pond and the race loop.

LewLasher
World Cup

Waiting for big storm to pass (us) by

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Conditions are still decent, but could really benefit from a little snow tomorrow.

Skied at Trapp's on Friday and Saturday and at Stowe Mt Resort today. SMR has a higher percentage of trails open, but Trapp's is bigger to start with, so they're currently about even in terms of km open. But conditions are slightly better at SMR. Higher percentage of trails with tracks. And the downhills at SMR (e.g., Bear Run counter-clockwise towards Burt) are not as sketchy as at Trapp's (e.g., Russel Knoll, or lower Parizo towards Picnic Knoll).

The big northeastern storm is only supposed to bring Stowe 3-7" of snow, but that would fill things in quite nicely here.

Elsewhere in New England, though, southern Vermont and all of New Hampshire should really benefit. E.g., Jackson NH could actually open.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Back to Trapp's today: I'd upgrade it to "good to very good." Everything is open on the north side of the road except Hare Line, the Chute, and Sugarhouse Chute.

LewLasher
World Cup

January thaw is now a distant memory

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 am

I'm not quite compulsive enough to enter daily updates on the conditions (because I don't think there are a lot of readers from whom this is relevant), but I somehow feel an obligation to give a general sense of how the winter is going.

Right around New Year's, basically everything fell apart. Melt melt melt, freeze freeze freeze. Last week, trails were closed (except possibly for snowshoers) for a couple or 3 days. As recently as this past Friday, what few trails were open were in fair to poor shape.

But then, little by little, winter returned, despite the lack of a real snowstorm. Just a few inches of snow every day, and now things are pretty good again. I skied yesterday at SMR and the snow conditions were very good, but the grooming hadn't caught up. Trapp's claimed that they had all their trails open, but I haven't gone there to check whether "all" means "all" (e.g., the Chute, which is often closed when everything else is open).

Trapp's supposedly has been using their new snowmaking system, but, so far, I'm puzzled at what benefit they've gotten out of it. They were closed 3 days last week (1 more than SMR, for those of us who are keeping score). Now they're open, but thanks to the real snow. Hopefully they'll be able to keep enough trails open in the iffy month of March so that they can put on a good show for the NCAA.

swilde6
xcskiforum 10K

Postby swilde6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

http://www.scoutlookweather.com/skiconditions is reporting 17" of new snow fall in the last 38 hours in Stowe. Who's going skiing?

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm

swilde6 wrote:http://www.scoutlookweather.com/skiconditions is reporting 17" of new snow fall in the last 38 hours in Stowe. Who's going skiing?

I'm sure lots of people are skiing in Stowe and all over New England right now.

I'd usually be in Stowe, but I'm with a bunch of friends, staying through the weekend, at Craftsbury. Pretty nice here today, too.

LewLasher
World Cup

Still going past St. Patrick's Day

Postby LewLasher » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Skied today at Trapp's. They and SMR had all their trails open. Conditions were fair to good. Snow depth is 2' at low elevations and definitely over 3' at high elevations. Excellent grooming.

The only problem is the weather, which is ridiculously warm and prone to raining. But aside from that, ski season is continuing on.

LewLasher
World Cup

Going out like a lion

Postby LewLasher » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 am

Skied a little this morning at Trapp's. Conditions still good, possibly better than two weeks ago (since which the weather has stabilized below freezing). All trails open, and apparently the same at SMR. Snow depths down to about one foot, but more snow coming tomorrow.

LewLasher
World Cup

2 days late for April Fool's

Postby LewLasher » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 am

Today I skied at Trapp's, up to the cabin. Conditions were generally ...

Oh, who am I kidding? No one gives a damn what the conditions are, or were this morning, or will be later today. At this point, it's all just about bragging rights. Take that, Lake Placid! And Jackson (N.H.)! (Although there are still a couple of other places open in New England.)

LewLasher
World Cup

Corporate reorg pertaining to Stowe Mountain Resort

Postby LewLasher » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Another new name to learn for Stowe Mountain Resort.

For a few years, I used to call it "AIG", since the ski area is (and has always been) owned by the big insurance company. But, after AIG spent several years as a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and then a year or so as the Most Hated Company in America, they spun off a subsidiary, named Chartis, and stuffed the Mount Mansfield Company (the Stowe-based company that runs the ski area) into it.

But, as of yesterday's edition of the Stowe Reporter, there is the news that the Mount Mansfield Company has now been placed under the ownership of National Union Fire Insurance, which, in turn, is owned by Chartis USA Inc, which is owned by Chartis Inc, which is owned by something called "AIUH LLC" (I have no idea what "AIUH" stands for), which, you will be greatly relieved to know, is owned by AIG. (And the green grass grew all around, all around ...) Plus ça change ...

At least "NUFI" is pronounceable, and, at that, has sort of a cuddly sound to it.

On the other hand, locals will insist on continuing to call it "Mansfield", as always.

Return to “NorthEast”