Put in 20K Yesterday

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Put in 20K Yesterday

Postby XCSKIBUM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:24 pm

That might not sound like a long ski to some of you young whipper-snappers, but for a 255# 60 yr old W/a touch of arthritis in my left knee, that was quite a grind for the last few miles.

I started out to do a 2 hr turn, but when I got to a snomobile/XC ski trail I had always wanted to explore near my turn around point, I decided to go up the trail a bit to explore.

Right away it sucked me in. I went a short distance over a hardwood ridge & found that the trail had some nice twists & turns as it meandered up & down over small rolling hills. I knew where the trail came out on a PFAR (public forest access road) so it just kept pulling on me to make that point my new turn around.

After about 2 hrs & 15 min, I reached the PFAR. I took about a 20 minute break to eat some gorp & take some Naproxin. I had forgotten to take my morning dose & the knee was flaring up just a bit. I keep some Aleve in my pack for just such emergencies.

It was +7F & by the time I was done W/my break, I could hardly wait to get my hands back into the mittens & start generating some body heat.
It went pretty well until the last couple of miles. Towards the end, I was barely shuffling my feet & had to stop frequently for a few seconds to rest.

5 hours & 8 minutes after I left the car I was back in the driver's seat heading home. It was so cold W/the wind chill in the exposed spot where I parked that I could not secure all my gear before my fingers got to the verge of frostbite. I tossed the skis & poles into the back of the Jetta & climbed in to get out of the wind. There was little relief from the car's heater as the engine coolant was stone cold after sitting for more than 5 hours.

I went to bed early last night. I was surprized that I was not stiffer/sorer than I was when I got up. It was about 10 degrees warmer today, but the wind was @ 17 MPH. I decided to take the day off from skiing. Today is only the 2nd day I haven't skied @ least 1 hour since Jan 16th. On the skis 23 out of the last 25 days .
Last edited by XCSKIBUM on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is that wax in your pocket or are you happy to be XC skiing?

brambor
xcskiforum 10K

thumbs up

Postby brambor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeah. AttaBoy! Good for You. It feels soo good to be there in the still of the cold air.

I sneaked out on lunch break today. The tracks were icy and dotted with leaves. Not ideal trail conditions but I felt great nevertheless.

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Re: thumbs up

Postby XCSKIBUM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

brambor wrote:It feels soo good to be there in the still of the cold air.

In places, the cold air was not so "still" :!:
Is that wax in your pocket or are you happy to be XC skiing?

Return to “NorthEast”