AMC Maine Wilderness trails GreenvilleME Moosehead Lake Area

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

tomcat
xcskiforum 10K

AMC Maine Wilderness trails GreenvilleME Moosehead Lake Area

Postby tomcat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:10 pm

A few small snows finally added up enough to open the AMC Maine Wilderness trails near Moosehead Lake. I skied from the winter lot along the KI road to the brand new Gorham Lodge Trail to the Gorham Chairback Lodge where I had lunch. I returned to the car via the Long Pond Trail rounding out my 15-16 mile loop. Conditions were amazingly good despite a lackluster winter so far. The Long Pond Trail was groomed as well of portions of the Hut to Hut trail near the lodge. The Gorham Lodge Trail wasn't groomed but was packed by a snowmobile. If you ever get a chance to ski these trails I highly recommend them. They are free to ski and fairly remote tucked in the 100 Mile Wilderness with stunning views of surrounding mountain ranges, even views of Katahdin in the northern segment of trails. There is an option to ski hut to hut similar to Maine Huts and Trails with full service accomodations and meals at a fairly high price or come in from Greenville for the day without staying at the huts. There are more than 80 miles of trails total, much of them groomed but none tracked. Most of the trails I would say are no harder than intermediate but there are a few moderately hilly sections.

Return to “NorthEast”