VT 2012-2013

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT 2012-2013

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about Vermont for the 2012-2013 skiing season.

(I'll up a separate topic for Stowe, Vermont once it catches up with Craftsbury and has something to ski on.)

LewLasher
World Cup

We are thankful for snowmaking

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:47 pm

I have to go with what I read on the Web, because I'm writing this from my mother's house in Florida, but Craftsbury says they have 1.25 km open/tracked/skate-groomed.

LewLasher
World Cup

Wolcott, 1 Dec 2012

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm

I skied today on 3 miles of the Catamount Trail in Wolcott*. Conditions were fair. Today was a previously scheduled trail maintenance day on Section 25 of the Catamount Trail, but we just did the trail work on skis (or, for one person, snowshoes).

This was the first backcountry skiing that I've done since March, 2009. But it was pretty easy going (and we took off our skis and walked down a couple of hills with thin cover), unlike elsewhere in Section 25, where the Catamount Trail crosses over a mountain range.

http://www.catamounttrail.org/trail/sections/section25/

*There seem to be several ways to pronounce Wolcott. The least popular is "wall cot." The most popular sounds something like "wool kit."

Elsewhere in Vermont today: Craftsbury has 23 km open (2 km tracked, 12 km skate-groomed), Trapp's has 10 km.

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, 5-6 Jan 2013

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I skied yesterday at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center. Conditions were very good to excellent. Just about everything was open except the "Grand Tour Extension." They finally opened Big Hosmer Lake today; I didn't ski it, but others in the group said that it was OK where it had been groomed.

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, 9 Feb 2013

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I skied today at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center, in particular, I skied the 20 km trail from the former Highland Lodge to the Craftsbury touring center. Conditions were generally good to very good, but there were a few spots, particularly in the large open fields, that were a little crusty or snow-deficient. The main trail system was more consistently in very good condition. Creamy, if not quite pillowy.

Last year I skied the 20 km trail by starting at Craftsbury and skiing up to the Highland Lodge. It's a lot more fun in the direction I did it today. If you start at the Highland Lodge, then, after a couple of kilometers of uphill, you have a vertical drop of about 1000 feet until you reach Craftsbury Village. At this point, you are about 2/3 through with the tour, and (after a lunch break at the Craftsbury Village Store) at least half of the remainder of the tour is flat. Another advantage is that you take the free* shuttle in the morning** and then you don't have to watch the clock the rest of the day.

*One of the people in our group (not me) had the good taste to tip the driver.
** The free shuttle only runs on weekends. Call in advance to find out the schedule.

At the risk of repeating what I said last year: this is a phenomenal tour. If you live in New England, you've got to ski it. If you live elsewhere and are visiting New England, try to fit it in.

LewLasher
World Cup

Woodstock, 6 Mar 2013

Postby LewLasher » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Yesterday I skied at the Woodstock ski touring center. Terrain was limited to the flats on the golf course, but conditions were decent.

It had been years since I've skied at Woodstock. The trails, and the nearby town of Woodstock, are among the most picturesque in Vermont. I know this sounds like the same old tourism/marketing crap that everyone's tired of hearing about Vermont, but it's true. (I was there yesterday with the NENSA adaptive program, organized with the nearby VA hospital, and even one of the veterans remarked how beautiful it was there.) The Woodstock touring center/golf course is an amenity of the upscale Woodstock Inn, so this is probably the only cross-country center in New England where the rest rooms have marble (or granite?) sinks. The skiing is nice, too: when they have enough snow to open the trails on the big hill (called "Mount Peg"), the trails zigzag up in terraces, rather than going straight up/down as is more common at places like Trapp's.

Return to “NorthEast”