VT - Stowe - 2012-2013

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2012-2013

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2012-2013 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

A notch above Stowe

Postby LewLasher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 pm

I skied today on the unplowed part of Route 108 up to Smugglers Notch. Conditions were good: the depth was generally enough to keep pole tips from hitting the pavement (whereas on the Stowe Recreation Path, it was not). Also important on the steeper parts, both the depth and breadth of the snow were ample.

This will probably be good for one more day. The first thaw of the 2012-2013 season is going to start on Sunday.

LewLasher
World Cup

17 Dec 2012 - here today ...

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I skied today at Trapp's. Conditions were surprisingly good (good to fair) on the trails I skied on (Sugar Road, Fox Track, and Telemark). No rocks, few minor trail anomalies. The Web site advertised 20 km of trails open (which would exceed Craftsbury's 13 km and equal the 20 km open in Jackson NH), but I'm not sure what other trails were open. Uphill Parizo was groomed, but not the downhill trail.

At any rate, the weather forecast is for continuing "mixed" precipitation later this week, so it's hard to say whether today's conditions will hold, improve, or disintegrate.

LewLasher
World Cup

Trapp - 22 Dec 2012

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm

I skied at Trapp's today and was surprised how well the snowpack survived yesterday's rain. Conditions were fair to poor at lower elevations, fair to good at higher elevations. They were claiming 30 km open, which is possible, considering that Parizo and Chris's Run were open up to the cabin, as well as Slayton Pasture (which, as usual, ought to be one of the later trails to open). It was a nice surprise to find the cabin open.

Mansfield/SMR is planning to open tomorrow.

LewLasher
World Cup

Trapp+SMR - 23 Dec 2012

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:06 pm

I skied at Trapp's (mostly) and Mansfield/SMR (a little) today. Conditions were a bit better than yesterday, generally fair to good, better at higher elevations, but you had to be on the lookout for the occasional ice or other trail anomalies.

I don't know if I believe the announced 45 km at Trapp's and 24 km at Mansfield, but there was plenty to ski on, especially if you skied both (and the Ranch Camp connector trail was probably the best trail of all).

A little more snow predicted overnight tonight, then next shot at more snow comes on Wednesday night.

I saw tracks on the Recreation Path, but I think it needs a little more snow. I also saw tracks heading out towards the (backcountry) Skytop trail, but that seems way premature.

LewLasher
World Cup

SMR + Trapp - 27 Dec 2012

Postby LewLasher » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm

I skied today at the Mansfield/SMR and Trapp areas. Conditions were very good, due to at least a half a foot of new snow as of this morning. Almost all trail anomalies were covered with snow. Skiers have started going out on backcountry trails, too. Conditions should be better tomorrow, once the touring centers have had time to groom, plus there should be a little more snow overnight.

LewLasher
World Cup

January thaw

Postby LewLasher » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 pm

First big thaw of the season. Conditions were OK today, but rain is expected Sunday night through Monday morning. Next chance of snow is Wednesday night.

LewLasher
World Cup

Recovery from January thaw

Postby LewLasher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:43 pm

After everything froze up this past week, we got about 3" of new snow this morning. Groomed trails should survive this week in decent condition, with temperatures staying below freezing for the rest of the week (although at this moment they are right around freezing).

I skied today at SMR/Mansfield and up to Trapp's. Conditions were good to very good on the trails that I selected: Timber Lane, Bruce, Outer Bear Run ("old Bear"), Burt, Ranch Camp ("the connector"), Haul Road, Cabin Trail. However, I ran into some rough spots on Hare Line (OK, I fell a couple of times) and some major bumps on outer Peavey (chastened after Hare Line, I was more careful, and enjoyed the cheap thrills). I can't vouch for the lower elevation Trapp trails.

worm-rider
xcskiforum 20K

Re: VT - Stowe - 2012-2013

Postby worm-rider » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Where is the snow in NE?? From here in Mass, I can't see any! I was up in the Jackson/Pinkham notch area last weekend and there was some snow, but not enough. Let's hope for some soon!

LewLasher
World Cup

Gotta go with the places that can groom this crap

Postby LewLasher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm

worm-rider wrote:Where is the snow in NE?? From here in Mass, I can't see any! I was up in the Jackson/Pinkham notch area last weekend and there was some snow, but not enough.

Jackson claims to have some trails open, maybe not enough to justify the trip.

Stowe and Craftsbury have got stuff to ski on (although I can't vouch for it, because I'm busy volunteering this weekend).

Closer to Massachusetts, Waterville Valley claims to have a decent amount of terrain open.

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: VT - Stowe - 2012-2013

Postby LewLasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I think there were a couple of thaws and refreezes since I last posted a trip report. (And I was so busy with volunteering last weekend that I didn't do any skiing.)

Today (Thursday 7 Feb) I skied at Trapp's. Conditions were generally good, but you had to watch for some icy spots. Closed trails included the Chute (and lower Haul Road), Hare Line, and everything on "the other side of the road." Most open trails were tracked, but the tracks were not as deep as they normally are. The surface was mostly groomed ice, with about an inch of new snow mixed in.

More snow coming in the next couple of days, should help out a lot, even if the amount of snow will be less here than further southeast. On the other hand, the forecast here for next week is for yet more snow, whereas further southeast may get rain mixed in.

LewLasher
World Cup

Fri 8 Feb

Postby LewLasher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Much better today, I'd upgrade it from "good" to "very good." I skied today from SMR/Mansfield up to the Trapp cabin. Whereas yesterday the downhills were fast and occasionally icy, today everything was creamy/pillowy/forgiving. Maybe 4-5" of snow by morning and another 2-3" (?) during the day, judging from the buildup on my car. But that was enough to make a huge difference.

Hare Line reopened at Trapp's. Classic was open (and skier-groomed) at SMR/Mansfield. Don't know about the lower-elevation trails at Trapp's, e.g., whether lower Haul Road is open.

I skied on one (fairly short) backcountry trail: Old Camp. (This is the most backcountry skiing I have done in the past 4 years.) Only in the uphill direction. It looked good enough that I wouldn't be surprised if people other than me would enjoy skiing it in the downhill direction. And there were tracks on the various trails up to Skytop Ridge.

Unfortunately, the current forecast does call for rain on Monday, or maybe mixed precipitation.

LewLasher
World Cup

Somehow I skipped a week

Postby LewLasher » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm

I just realized that I neglected to post a trip report last weekend. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

What I would have said last weekend is that the conditions were very confusing to report, because if you were one step ahead of the groomer, it was kind of icy, but, once the grooming machine went by, it was pretty good. Until, later in the day, when it got icy again. Depending on which trail you were on.

Maybe that might have been useful in itself, in a way.

Anyway, there was a bunch of new snow last night, so everything is in good shape again, even at lower elevations.

LewLasher
World Cup

9 Mar 2013 - spring conditions

Postby LewLasher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I skied at Trapp's this morning. There was a 2-hour period between 10 a.m. - 12 noon when everything was groomed and hadn't yet turned to slush, when conditions were pretty good.

LewLasher
World Cup

16 Mar 2013 - back to winter

Postby LewLasher » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm

I skied at Trapp's today. Temperatures have stayed below freezing for a few days, and there was a little bit of new snow. So, conditions are pretty good. Haul Road is closed from the Chute on down, but almost everything else is open (except for the trails on the other side of the road). Even downhill-Parizo was in good shape all the way down through Picnic Knoll.

Return to “NorthEast”