VT 2014-2015

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT 2014-2015

Postby LewLasher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:39 am

This topic is for trip reports and other information about Vermont for the 2014-2015 skiing season.

(I'll start up a separate topic for Stowe, Vermont.)

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, definitely not a turkey

Postby LewLasher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 am

Craftsbury has had their snowmaking in operation this week, and is open today with 20 km.

In Stowe, Trapp's is opening today with 3 km, but they are expecting to close tomorrow due to the forecast warm rain.

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, 14.12.14

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I skied today at Craftsbury. Conditions were generally good. Slightly better than in Stowe yesterday, which I described as "fair." Craftsbury has better grooming, but also has flatter trails, so that today at Craftsbury I almost always was able to get some grip in the tracks.

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, 22 Dec 2014

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 pm

I skied today at Craftsbury. Conditions were generally fair - slightly better on the core trails and slightly worse on the recently-opened "Grand Tour" (the abbreviated version, because the lakes aren't groomed, even though they were allowing people to ski there). But it's going to get MUCH WORSE. Lots of rain on tap, so to speak, for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will pretty much ruin things for a while.

LewLasher
World Cup

Best skiing of 2015

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:59 pm

I skied today at Craftsbury. Conditions were fair. They try really hard - including regrooming certain trails in the afternoon - but there isn't a lot to work with right now.

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: Craftsbury

Postby LewLasher » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 am

Of course, now that I am NOT skiing there TODAY, they have gotten a (modest) amount of new snow this morning, which ought to be enough to make a noticeable difference.

The big question, though, is with the amount and "mixture" of precipitation that arrives tomorrow ....

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury 7 Jan 2015: good, but hoping for better

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 am

I skied yesterday at Craftsbury. Conditions were generally good, much better than at Mansfield the day before - although I heard that conditions were also good at Trapp's. The difference is that both Craftsbury and Trapp's have PistenBully groomers, while SMR/Mansfield does not.

Even at Craftsbury, I found conditions to be notably worse on the Grand Tour Cutoff trail, which had not been recently groomed by PistenBully.

Little Hosmer Lake was groomed but not tracked.

What was frustrating, though, is that I know that conditions would be significantly better with just a couple more inches of snow. Yet, every time the weather forecast calls for a "chance of snow", that chance fails to materialize. For example, yesterday offered the tantalizing prospect of randomly-occurring snow squalls. I don't know if they randomly occurred anywhere else, but they did not randomly occur at Craftsbury.

I'll be heading back to Craftsbury tomorrow as a guide with the Ski For Light (blind and visually-impaired) group, and it would be really nice to have fresh snow in the tracks, so that the beginner skiers could stay in the tracks even on some downhills. As of yesterday, the tracks were too fast for that option.

midlife
xcskiforum 10K

Re: VT 2014-2015

Postby midlife » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks for the updates! I'm hoping to get down to Craftsbury sometime next week - with any luck they'll get some snow by then.

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: VT 2014-2015

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 am

midlife wrote:I'm hoping to get down to Craftsbury sometime next week - with any luck they'll get some snow by then.

Yes. I was just there, Friday-Monday, and, by now, they have gradually accumulated enough snow that the conditions should be good through this coming week. I think they even were able to set (shallow) tracks on Big Hosmer Lake.

During my visit to Craftsbury this past weekend, I met a group of 4 backcountry skiers who were through-skiing the Catamount Trail - (I had never met any through-skiers before) - from north to south. Which means that they had successfully skied 4 sections, with only 27 sections left to go. They were doing some winter camping, so they were very happy with the "luxury" (heat, showers) of the accommodations at Craftsbury.

Return to “NorthEast”