VT - Stowe - 2014-2015

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2014-2015

Postby LewLasher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2014-2015 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

22 Nov 2014 - Smugglers' Notch road

Postby LewLasher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

While Trapp's was opening with about 3 km of trails open, it seemed like everyone and their dog was out skiing (or walking, sledding, skijoring, or alpine touring) on the unplowed 5 km of route 108 over Smugglers' Notch. Conditions were fair to good, even late in the afternoon. There was only one tiny little spot where I could sort of see the road pavement under the snow, and I never felt pole tips strike pavement.

LewLasher
World Cup

Opening day at Mansfield

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:15 pm

I skied today at the Stowe Mountain Resort (SMR), also known as "Mansfield" touring center. Conditions were fair. The mostly-wet snow was groomed and tracked. No rocks, very few trail anomalies, but the tracks were a little fast - technically, not icy, but, for lack of a better word, icy.

I won't be skiing very much this season at Trapp's because they didn't offer a discount to the local ski club. But, according to their Web site, they had at least 35 km open today and the cabin was open.

LewLasher
World Cup

Apropos of the wet snow, or: après moi, le déluge

Postby LewLasher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 am

We got an inch of (sopping) wet snow this morning, so I skied a little at Mansfield/Stowe Mt Resort this morning. After the groomer, before the rain. Conditions were actually good, for what that's worth, which is, maybe, about a few more hours. Then, it's going to get REALLY BAD with all the rain the next couple of days.

As I skied past the warming hut, I noticed two pairs of what looked like alpine (or possibly alpine touring) skis. I have no idea what those folks were up to today ...

LewLasher
World Cup

Still waiting

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:35 pm

I skied today at SMR/Mansfield. Conditions were fair. There is a chance of 2-4" snow tomorrow, which would improve things.

LewLasher
World Cup

Here today, ? tomorrow

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:25 pm

I skied today at Mansfield/SMR. Conditions were good to very good. I think all the trails were open.

But the forecast for the next 12 hours is another one of these "mixed precipitation" puzzles that we're getting a lot of this season. The good thing is that the rain, which was predicted to start right after noon, is at least a few hours late. The bad thing is that they have lowered the prediction for the amount of snow that is supposed to happen after the changeover from rain to snow. In other words, we'll just have to wait to see what we wake up to tomorrow morning ...

LewLasher
World Cup

Wet snow, better than wet rain

Postby LewLasher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Finally, "mixed precipitation" that was mostly snow.
Trails remain in good shape, except for small tree limbs here and there.

Today, for the first time in several years, I skied the Toll Road, an alpine trail that is (along with its chairlife) open to cross-country skiers. Good conditions there, too.

LewLasher
World Cup

New marathon at Trapp's

Postby LewLasher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

The Trapp Family Lodge has announced their inaugural (yeah, "First Annual") Trapp Lager Marathon. The beverage/sponsor is their own on-premises microbrewery. The race will be 25km or 50 km classic, on March 14.

LewLasher
World Cup

Not spring conditions yet

Postby LewLasher » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Back from Maine, I skied today at Mansfield/SMR. Above freezing, but conditions still generally good. Tomorrow should be a little colder, with an unknown mix of precipitation ...

Return to “NorthEast”