VT - Stowe - 2015-2016

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT - Stowe - 2015-2016

Postby LewLasher » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:08 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about the Stowe, Vermont area for the 2015-2016 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

Opening Day

Postby LewLasher » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Just in time so that the "2015-2016" season includes 2015, a modest snowstorm came yesterday with about 5 inches of snow. Both Trapp's and SMR/Mansfield opened today. Mansfield had more trails open, but, because I only have a season pass this year for Trapp's, that's where I went. Conditions were good on the few trails that were officially open. There were a few additional trails that were in an ambiguous state: not officially open, but not roped off. On these "soft open" trails, conditions were fair. A Trapps employee said that they were hoping to groom these trails within the next couple of days.

Then I went over to the unplowed section of Vermont Route 108, and skied up to Smugglers' Notch and back. I was curious whether the conditions might be better at the higher elevation. No, they weren't. The snow depth was right around the level where ski poles hit the pavement. The heavy (humid) snow wasn't exactly icy, but it was pretty far from fluffy, and so it was a little scary coming down the switchbacks.

LewLasher
World Cup

Free groomed trails in Stowe

Postby LewLasher » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Once there is more snow, there should be some free groomed trails in Stowe. The 5 1/2-mile Recreation Path is going to be groomed this year by the Stowe Nordic club, taking over responsibility from an ad hoc group that started Rec Path grooming a couple of years ago.

In addition, the Stowe Nordic club got permission to groom a trail on the town land on the north side of Mayo Farm Road, and an additional trail from the south side of Mayo Farm Road down to the Rec Path, to the east of the West Branch River, roughly following the route of the "Quiet Path" there.

LewLasher
World Cup

31 Dec 2015

Postby LewLasher » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:52 am

Visited Trapp's again this morning. A lot more trails open, so you could ski up to the cabin. However, they (appropriately) cautioned skiers that Parizo (the only way down from the cabin) was for "experts only." And, in general, the snow is still wet, from the continuing above-freezing temperatures and drizzle. So I'd describe today's trail conditions as "fair", although that's sort of an average of some trails being more towards "good" and some more towards "poor".

Tonight temperatures are supposed to go down below freezing, and there may be some snow showers. But I'm probably going to try out my metal-edged backcountry skis tomorrow.

LewLasher
World Cup

1 Jan 2016 - different but the same

Postby LewLasher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:03 am

Jan 1 - temperatures below freezing, stopped drizzling. No more wet snow. Instead, it's a very hard surface - but not wet. So I'd still rate the conditions as "fair". I did make it up to the cabin - and back down - without trouble, thanks to the good work of the groomers, the 1/4" of fresh snow, and metal edges.

Cabin news: new outhouses! Closer to the cabin, on the other side (near the woodpile).

LewLasher
World Cup

12 Jan 2016 - recovering from deluge

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Trapp's reopened today after the big rain on Sunday. Conditions poor to fair, with only 3 trails open (Sugar Road, Foxtrack, Telemark), and the "to fair" part came about only with the perhaps a quarter inch of snow in the late afternoon. Still, on the positive side: there is a solid (ice) base with no rocks sticking through, and there is probably going to be some more snow tonight and tomorrow. Also on the positive side: it's cold enough that I can stop complaining about the snow being heavy and damp.

LewLasher
World Cup

14 Jan 2016

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:25 pm

It seemed like just 3-4", but now just about all the trails are open (except Skaters Waltz and Slayton Pasture, and some of the trails on the other side of the street). Conditions are fair to good, but note that I was skiing with waxless, metal-edged skis. Nonetheless, there is still solid cover, no exposed rocks or vegetation. But there are icy spots. And Hare Line probably should not be open this early in the season, with one water feature extending across the whole width of the trail.

LewLasher
World Cup

19 Jan 2016 - all better

Postby LewLasher » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Skied today at Trapp's. All trails open (as also at Mansfield), conditions good to very good. Just a few inches of snow in the last day or so covered up almost all the icy spots. Nice to ski on regular skis without metal edges. Also nice to be skiing on wax again.

LewLasher
World Cup

21 Jan 2016 - Trapp's + Rec Path

Postby LewLasher » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Conditions generally very good today at Trapp's.

The Rec Path is finally groomed and tracked.

LewLasher
World Cup

22 Feb 2016

Postby LewLasher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Conditions today were very elevation dependent. At the higher elevations (e.g., the Cabin trail), conditions were fair to good. At medium elevations (i.e., Parizo), conditions were fair to poor. At lower elevations, conditions were poor or worse.

Return to “NorthEast”