Maine - cheap hostel-style accommodations near Sugarloaf

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

Maine - cheap hostel-style accommodations near Sugarloaf

Postby LewLasher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:14 am

There is a new hostel-style lodging in Carrabassett Valley, Maine, about 1/4 mile from the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center (cross-country ski area).

It is called the "Adaptive Outdoor Education Center." The word "adaptive" is the currently popular way to refer to activities for people with disabilities. The primary mission of the AOEC is to host adaptive programs for people with disabilities. However, they also seem willing to let the general public stay there, presumably at times when they don't have a program going on.

The rates are dirt-cheap. If you are willing to tolerate the lack of privacy that comes with staying in a hostel, and you want a cheap way to visit the mountainous part of Maine, read on.

First, the rates: $20/night. This includes a bed in a shared - and cramped - room. Does NOT include bedding. If you don't bring your own sheets, pillow, and towel, they'll rent you the bedding for an additional $20, and the towel for $2. (Yeah, you've got to read the fine print to avoid getting nickeled-and-dimed to death.) Snoring roommates provided at no extra cost.

You also have use of the (fully-equipped) kitchen and the laundry machines. Also included: Wi-Fi.

If you have a group of friends who have always wanted to go to Sugarloaf, another, perhaps more attractive, option is to rent out the whole damned place for $800 for a weekend (Friday and Saturday night stay). In theory you could cram 20 people in there, but, if you wanted them to remain friends, I'd say that 8-12 people would be ideal.

This is all contingent on the AOEC not being fully busy with adaptive programs, but they just opened the place within the past month, so they haven't yet filled up the schedule. Also, no one knows about the place - except (now) you.

I should also mention that, if you know a person with disabilities, these adaptive programs can be a great experience for them. But, also, if you are just a frugal cheapskate kind of person, there aren't a lot of hostel/dormitory places around, certainly not in New England.

I don't know what's the deal with photos on XCSkiForum; try looking at this photo album.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Maine - cheap hostel-style accommodations near Sugarloaf

Postby TooHeavy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:53 pm

How are the side roads for hassle free parking from the local police. I would prefere to sleep in my car than share a room with a bunch of snoring strangers. :-)

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: Maine - cheap hostel-style accommodations near Sugarloaf

Postby LewLasher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 am

TooHeavy wrote:How are the side roads for hassle free parking from the local police.
I have no idea - I don't live there. Maybe there are others, who live in Maine, or who have traveled through there and tried it out.

Return to “NorthEast”