VT 2016-2017

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

VT 2016-2017

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 am

This topic is for trip reports and other information about Vermont for the 2016-2017 skiing season.

I already started a separate topic for Stowe, Vermont.

LewLasher
World Cup

Craftsbury, 17 Dec 2016

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:46 am

Today (actually, after my long nap: yesterday) I skied at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center. Conditions were good. About 3 inches of snow fell during the day, so some trails (for example, Sam's Run) had only tracks made by other skiers, whereas others (for example, Ruthie's Run) had machine-set tracks.

Rain and other non-helpful forms of precipitation are forecast for tomorrow, so I expect conditions to be worse for the coming week.

There was/is a large 2-day race at Craftsbury this weekend. The "big new" touring center building was uncomfortably crowded.

Craftsbury has added a few small new trails this year, extending from the junction of Sam's Run and Ruthie's Run east across Creek Road, but I did not get to try them out yet.

Craftsbury has also renamed some of their trails, issued a new version of their trail map, and improved their trail signage. The trail formerly known as "Grand Tour" has been split (sensibly, I think) into 3 trails. The trail formerly known as "Race Loop" has now become 8 tiny little trails. (Oddly, there is still a trail called "Race Loop Bypass", even there is no longer a "Race Loop" for it to pass by.) The difficulty ratings have been adjusted, so that, for example, only 2 of the 8 mini-Race-segments are now rated "most difficult", and the popular section of the former Grand Tour that goes to Craftsbury Village has been downgraded to "more difficult." They have finally abandoned the practice of designating trails by number as well as by name, and now use numbers only to designate intersections. The trail distances seem to be more accurate now - on the maps, on the conditions report, and on the trail signs - because they have largely abandoned their old habit of measuring and signing trails as one-way loops (since skiing is, and was, allowed in both directions) returning all the way to the touring center.

Return to “NorthEast”