Maine Huts and Trails

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Maine Huts and Trails

Postby MaineXC » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:02 am

Finally got a day off work, so I am heading up into the western maine mountains to check out the new Poplar Springs Hut and trails in the area.

http://mainehuts.org/

This is modeled after the AMC hut system in New Hampshire, and when complete, will consist of 12 huts and over 180 miles of hiking/XC ski trails.

Happy trails to you all.... i'll keep you posted.

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

Postby zpinhead » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:02 pm

I went in there about a month or two ago (long before the hut grand opening) my full skins and tele-skis were overkill for the run in to the hut from the poplar stream parking area near town hall, but they were an absolute blast for the run back out.

Mostly uphill on the way in (eastbound) with only a couple rolls& slight downhills heading east. Return trip out, skins off, maintaining speed, only had to climb back up one of the hills. Great trail, fairly narrow and fast descent, I think it would be ideal with a set of full-metal edge waxless skis (or perhaps proper kickwax?....) A friend of mine has done the trail numerous times on his Rainiers and said it worked well.

Should be interesting after they get the second hut built this summer, then it will be a hut TO HUT system

:lol: :lol:

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Postby MaineXC » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm

thanks for your post. From what I could see, the trail was in great shape with TONS of snow. Hate to say it, but after driving a few hours to get up there, I realized I left my boots at home. I'll be back though. Yup, Hut to Hut sounds great!

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

Postby zpinhead » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:56 pm

went into the poplar stream hut again last weekend saturday.

Didn't take pictures of the hut 'cause my camera was acting up (error messages/low batteries), but I managed to get a couple of some trail sections, & views of the stream below.

Trail conditions: Great coverage but with the new snow was very slow. Should be good skiing for a while yet. One hutkeeper/cook said they were going to groom that night if it got cold enough.

RSN @ Park City said watch out for ice in the shade, but I couldn't find any.
-
Where are we going?...And what am I doing in this handbasket?

sharon333
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sharon333 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Those are some great pics.
Love to for x skiing at a pocono hotel.

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

Postby zpinhead » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:28 am

thanks for the positive feedback on the pix. The trail is nice and very convenient for me (almost in my backyard) as I live in Kingfield.

If I remember correctly, that day I had Telemarked lift-served at sugarloaf all morning before going on the hut trail. (ran out of daylight on the way back out.)

another update: the second hut grand opening is January 17 ribbon cutting at noon & open house from 10-2 with a "members only" overnight Jan.18.

details at mainehuts.org

standard disclaimer: no affiliation, yadda yadda.

also noticed on the mainehuts.org site that they're doing a point to point race from the new flagstaff hut to the Sugarloaf Outdoor center.

February 14, 2008 • Carrabassett Valley, Maine
40K and 20K point-to-point options on the Maine Huts and Trails
system from the Flagstaff Hut to the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center.
For more information, call 207.265.2400 or visit www.nensa.net.
RSN @ Park City said watch out for ice in the shade, but I couldn't find any.

-

Where are we going?...And what am I doing in this handbasket?

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Postby MaineXC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:17 am

Awesome pics thank you! you are very lucky to live in near such aweseme trail networks. Did you check out Flagstaff hut?

I'd love to see more pics and learn more info ( rather than simply what they post on the website).

thanks!

LewLasher
World Cup

Thumbs up from Vermont

Postby LewLasher » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm

The Maine Huts & Trails system came up at yesterday's annual meeting of the Catamount Trail Association in Vermont. One of the guest speakers, David Goodman, who has written another update to his series of books about backcountry skiing in the Northeast U.S., included a segment about the Maine hut-to-hut skiing in his slide show. Many of the Vermont skiers were audibly jealous. It looks like it will be one of the premier skiing destinations in New England.

It seems that the trails are groomed, so, strictly speaking, not backcountry. David Goodman said that trail skis or even racing skis would be appropriate.

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Postby MaineXC » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:50 am

Hello all...

I finally figured out my forum password, so I am back online after a few years!

Since my original Maine Huts and Trails post, I have taken XC day trips to the Poplar Springs Hut and the Flagstaff Hut. I am totally impressed. They are clean, well-run and have great signage, great staff. Good food... The trail grooming was outstanding during my visits.

I have yet to experience an overnight hut to hut, but am definitely looking forward to that.

Grand Falls Hut and the 200 foot Chappell Footbridge over the Dead River are now open. You can read about them along with the other updates for 2011 by clicking here: http://www.mainehuts.org/latest-news/what%E2%80%99s-new-at-maine-huts-trails-this-winter/

By the way, I am not affiliated with this organization in any way. I am just a Maine resident who likes to share.

LewLasher
World Cup

5-day, 4-hut trip

Postby LewLasher » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 am

This past week, I went on a 5-day tour on the Maine Hut Trail, staying at all 4 of the huts that are currently in place: Stratton Brook, Poplar, Flagstaff, and Grand Falls.

I'm going to post a description of Maine Huts and Trails on the backcountry section of XCSkiForum.

Here is a link to my photo album from this trip (not sure whether this will remain in place forever, but I have plenty of Google space):

https://plus.google.com/photos/101076828905369495993/albums/6126217943485796481?authkey=CPPOlZ7t55jWbg

If you don't want to look at the whole photo album, please enjoy this 8-second video of Grand Falls (assuming that this link to Google Plus works):

https://plus.google.com/101076828905369495993/posts/46do5uXvsGd

Lew

addseo1115
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Maine Huts and Trails

Postby addseo1115 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:42 am

City said watch out for ice in the shade, but I couldn't find any.
royal1688 เล่นผ่านเว็บ

Return to “NorthEast”