MA 2008-2009

New England States, NY and anyplace else east of the Mississippi

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

MA 2008-2009

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:14 pm

This topic is for trip reports and other information about Massachusetts for the 2008-2009 skiing season.

LewLasher
World Cup

Charles River - Cambridge, Mass - 18 Jan 2009

Postby LewLasher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I was down in Massachusetts this weekend and it happened to be snowing, so I took advantage and skied a couple of miles down the Charles River - that is, along the river, not on it. I needed to get a pound of raisins at Trader Joe's, anyway, and redeem a free coupon offer at the Micro Center ...

Nothing special about the skiing, except that it's really rare to have decent conditions in the city. I was surprised I didn't see more skiers out. At least a couple of folks must have gone out earlier in the morning, because I saw (and used) their tracks, and, just as I was finishing up, I finally saw a couple of skiers.

I took a bunch of pictures, most of which were really bad, because that's what happens when you try to take pictures while it's snowing. Everything is a big greyish blur. So be thankful that I'm only posting a few of today's photos:

The bridge helps you imagine that there is a river involved in this picture.
The fuzzy building that you can't really see in the background is part of the Harvard Business School, in case you were wondering, which I'm sure you were not.

In this picture you can sort of see the river, even. The high-rise building in the background is just a big residential building, but it sets the scene to indicate that you are in a city.

LewLasher
World Cup

Northfield Mountain - 19 Jan 2009

Postby LewLasher » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Today's trip was to the Northfield Mountain cross-country ski area in Northfield, Massachusetts. Conditions were consistently very good, with tracks set just about everywhere you'd want them.

Northfield Mountain is an interesting XC ski area from an economic standpoint, because it is owned (and, probably, subsidized) by a utility company (First Light Power Resources) that also operates a "pumped storage hydroelectric facility" on the premises. Their Web site says that it has something to do with their Federal license that they operate environmental and recreational programs in the area. (They also provide canoeing and kayaking on the nearby Connecticut River.)

Anyway, the trail system definitely benefits from the largesse of the utility company. The trails are well-designed, well-maintained, and well groomed. Also: wide, which was appreciated by the skater in our group today. The trail system has a vertical drop of over 800 feet, but there is a green trail that climbs gradually up to the summit, where there is a view of the chain link fence around the upper reservoir. The terrain does suffer from the One Big Hill problem that is common in New England, but the trail system is designed with enough "lateral" trails so that it isn't just up->up->-up->up followed by down->down->down->down.

The trail system does feature somewhat more high voltage electrical tranmission lines than you see at most cross-country ski areas, but most of the trails are bordered solely by trees.

beungood
xcskiforum 10K

Postby beungood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Im intrested in trying this area out this year. Is there alot of back country style skiing here too?

beungood
xcskiforum 10K

Skiing in State Parks

Postby beungood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Any Experience skiing in state Parks or skiing camping in them?

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:07 pm

beungood wrote:Im intrested in trying this area out this year. Is there alot of back country style skiing here too?

Don't know of any backcountry skiing around Northfield, but there certainly could be stuff that I don't know about.

Return to “NorthEast”