TR: West Yellowstone 12/16

CO, UT, MT, NM, WY, ID

Moderator: Moderator Group

faber
xcskiforum 20K

TR: West Yellowstone 12/16

Postby faber » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:15 pm

Yesterday I went with a few friends to West. Couldn't turn down a free ride. The forcast was for moderately high winds and overcast skies, but if it ever gets really cold/windy down there, a coffee break at Free Heel & Wheel is always a good thing.

But, it was actually a near perfect day. Blue skies, no wind whatsoever, not even up on Windy Ridge. Air temps stayed about 18-20. A great day. The trails were perfect, as ever they are at Rendezvous. The snow was probably a day or two old (didn't ask), but groomed very well. A perfect day to continue getting to know the new skate skis. They definitely have a healthy base to sustain the season. Add to that the obsessive grooming at Rendezvous, and it's worth a drive down the canyon.

Yesterday was especially good as the numbers of sleds drag racing around town (and between junctions 4 & 6 at Rendezvous) was surprisingly low. The park is not yet open to snow machines. Don't know when they will open it up for their use, but until then, it's low season for the sledheads (not intending that to be a derisive term). Enjoy it while you can.

Elsewhere in Gallatin County:
Bohart is open to the public now. I hear that they have made the very best of the snow they have and that the higher loops are pretty good. I'm planning to head up there later in the week when work lightens up.

Haven't heard anything about LMR, though driving by Big Sky, I thought it looked more like the end of April than the middle of December. Alpine ski reports from Big Sky are mixed (locals hate it; out-of-staters love it); the word on Moonlight is that coverage all over is thin. Bridger is not open yet.

Enjoy!

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:58 am

Here's what Bohart is reporting on their website for ski conditions on Monday, Dec. 18, 2006:

-2 degrees. No new snow last 24 hrs. OPEN for the Season. VERY MARGINAL CONDITIONS. ROCK SKIS ADVISED. Please Sign In. (Temporary closures may happen if conditions deteriorate). NO CLASSIC TRACKS, more snow is needed for this to happen. Ski with caution!

Doesn't look too pleasant.

Lone Mountain Ranch is reporting open for the season with good skiing on the Upper trail but thin snow down low.

And unfortunately the weather this week looks to be fairly quiet.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

faber
xcskiforum 20K

Postby faber » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:38 am

Some friends of mine have been going up there for about a week now and said that Bohart wasn't as bad as it sounds, given the recent weather patterns, that they've made the best of it. (Season pass holders can ski whenever they like, even before the "official" opening.)

I'm glad LMR is reporting good snow up higher. Little Bavaria and Summit/Mongolia can be amazing on the right day. I might be tempted to give it a visit soon. But thin coverage down around the condos and in the golf course is no great loss. Although, LMR is reporting 3" new snow, whereas Big Sky and Moonlight are reporting 0". Hmmm...

Here's hoping Santa has something good for Montana.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm with you on asking Santa for more snow. Tha backcountry reports I've seen are not good (icy) and Izaak Walton will need more snow soon too.

I have a feeling Santa has a lot of snow order to fill.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “Rockies”