Just moved to Denver. Looking to xc ski again

CO, UT, MT, NM, WY, ID

Moderator: Moderator Group

foresthill
xcskiforum 10K

Just moved to Denver. Looking to xc ski again

Postby foresthill » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:07 am

Hi, folks. I just moved to Denver after 9 years in the Desert (Tucson, AZ.) I raced x-c for many years before that and I'm looking forward to getting back into it, at least for fun, maybe a few citizens' races.

I'm feeling a bit lost at getting started again tho. A few questions:

1) Any recommendations on resorts, passes, etc for someone living in Denver?
2) same for nordic ski shops.

Thanks, any info is much appreciated!

martin
xcskiforum 10K

Postby martin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi,

I'm in Fort Collins but can offer a few suggestions...

For skiing, Eldora is likely your closest option. A diverse network of well-maintained trails, including a few with big climbs. They also have a Wednesday-evening race series on a lighted loop...

Farther up there are many possibilities. The two I've skied at recently are the Frisco Nordic Center and Snow Mountain Ranch. They are both great with a lot of terrain - and both have shops. Devil's Thumb Ranch is another large area in the vicinity of Snow Mountain Ranch. I haven't skied there in ages - since before all the lodging was added, but I expect it would be nice. They have a large shop, also.

Another possibility is Happy Jack, in Wyoming just East of Laramie off I80. It's non-commercial and locally maintained, but kept in good condition with several nice loops.

For shops, I highly recommend Boulder Nordic Sport, on 15th street in Boulder.

Hope that helps, and good luck getting back into it!

Martin

Ascentionist
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Ascentionist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:47 am

If you pick up the Trail Illustrated maps they show a lot of winter trails. There is also a decent book called "Winter Trails Colorado" by the Lightbodys.

As far as groomed trails i really like Eldora, but I don't have much to compare to. I've been to Eldora and Keystone. Hoping to remedy my lack of experience this winter. Matter of fact, going to try to get out tomorrow on some open space trails.

Hurrah for snow!

kentek
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Just moved to Denver. Looking to xc ski again

Postby kentek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Seems Colorado is getting many new XC skiers. I'm an ex-Deverite now living in Soutern CA.

Here is my recommendations for you newbies in CO:

I used to ski Breckenridge Nordic Center until they put so many houses on the property.
A better (by far) are is Frisco. It is about 11 miles north of Breckenridge. Coming from Denveris just off the I 70 @ Frisco Exit. Just go through town and you will see it on the left.
Great tracks. About 4 k or more in total I think. Some good hills, too.
If the snow is good the Daytons will give you the best corduroy tracks you can imagine. The Daytons manage both Breckenridge Nordic Center and the Frisco Nordic Center.
Say hi to Gene and Theresa for me.
Sadly, I am no longer in CO. I do miss the XC skiing.

Ken Wood

Return to “Rockies”