Slow Start but We are Skiing

CO, UT, MT, NM, WY, ID

Moderator: Moderator Group

Montana
World Cup

Slow Start but We are Skiing

Postby Montana » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:47 am

West Yellowstone got good snow just in time for the Thanksgiving week festival. Other areas were not so lucky. Bohart and Lone Mountain are not yet open (as of 12/8/06). Izaak Walton Inn at Essex, Montana has very nice snow right now so jump on Amtrak and come on over.

Backcountry skiing is good in the Northern Rockies but thin in many areas further south.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

faber
xcskiforum 20K

Postby faber » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:14 pm

It is bleak around here. Man, oh man. West is doing OK, but not much else.

The Bridger Ski Foundation folks were blowing snow all over Lindley Park here in Bozeman for their SuperTour race that they were hosting. There is still some of that, but it's brutal now. They're not bothering to refresh it--don't blame them.

It might be time to get out the touring gear and go down to the park and dodge the elk, bison, and "sleds." Although Moonlight is opening this weekend--might have to observe that.

Any ideas how the rest of MT might look this weekend? Is there still good snow up in Essex?

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:03 am

There should be good snow in Essex this weekend. New snow is predicted there through Friday with 3-6 forecast for the valley floors and more above 4000 feet. Izaak Walton Inn is at around 3800 feet and trails go up to 4100 or so.

The Essex RWIS site is reporting 32 degrees and precip as of Thursday morning and the MT Road Map shows snowpacked and icy conditions from East Glacier to Essex and snowcovered with icy spots from Essex to West Glacier. Essex is in a snow magnet spot so if any comes down they will get their share.

I'll be there Saturday. I'm expecting good skiing on the groomed trails.

If you drive from Bozeman , especially on Friday, I suggest staying west of the divide. Winds sustained at 60 mph and gusting to 100 are predicted for the area from the Rocky Mountain Front to I-15 on Friday.

faber
xcskiforum 20K

Postby faber » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:13 am

Thanks for the advice, Montana. I've never been up around there to ski, but I've read your blog last year on the Eagle River Nordic site and have wanted to for some time.

A lot of people I know around here are heading down to West this weekend. A few are hauling out the BC gear and going all the way to Cooke City looking for some snow.

Moonlight Basin is opening this weekend because they believe that they will get snow soon. Whoever their weather wizards are, I hope they're right.

If I make it up to Essex this weekend, I hope to run into you. Thanks for the info!

Cheers

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:03 am

The weather forecast for Essex didn't pan out as predicted. Heavy night time snow was mixed with daytime rains. This compacted the snow significantly. Temps in the high 30s precluded grooming on Friday morning.

Fortunately as the temps went below freezing Friday it snowed another 2-3 inches. So the groomers made pretty darn good conditions with the new powder on top of the now frozen base. SAturday skiing was good with temps in the low 20s and groomed powder snow.

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Glacier Glide » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Ralph,

Time to make a trip over the hill to Whitefish. Skiing on the golf course has been excellent for about two weeks. The new ginzu groomer the club bought has done a great job after the wet sloppy snow we had last week.

Jeff

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:21 am

Jeff,
I'll get there eventually. It's already over 2 hours to IWI. That makes it a long haul to Whitefish. Will be over that way for the GMS potluck though in late January. Don't let the snow go away until I get to ski on it, eh?

Return to “Rockies”