Crust skiing in Ak

WA, OR, AK, NORCAL

Moderator: Moderator Group

AKSwix
xcskiforum 10K

Crust skiing in Ak

Postby AKSwix » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 pm

hey there are a few places in SC Ak that has some great crust already :D
Hatcher's is hit or miss for crust, Su Valley has been great! Watch out for those moose though!

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:36 pm

hey there mate!
One question I have about crust skiing--exactly what is it and is it a better condition for classic or skating or both?
I contribute to the trail condition reports frequently and have seen many posts regarding crust skiing. Just curious--seems to be a fun thing some folks like to do.

charlie whiskey
xcskiforum 10K

crustski

Postby charlie whiskey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:01 pm

ep, if i'm not mistaken, it's involves skating on a natural surface of snow (ungroomed) that has set up enough so that you can tour the backcountry. we always called it spring skating, but then again, it might be something totally different. thanks for your regular contributions to the blt conditions. i always check the postings before i head out that way.

funhog
xcskiforum 10K

Postby funhog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I was on the 20 mile on Sunday and the conditions are icy crusty. Still good for touring. I suspect Turnagain Pass Center Ridge is good as well.
It's all about fun....

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Re: crustski

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 pm

charlie whiskey wrote:ep, if i'm not mistaken, it's involves skating on a natural surface of snow (ungroomed) that has set up enough so that you can tour the backcountry. we always called it spring skating, but then again, it might be something totally different. thanks for your regular contributions to the blt conditions. i always check the postings before i head out that way.

cheers for that CW

sometimes i wish for more updates on the ER grooming hotline---but then again, if the hotline report is old, the last grooming is as well.

you've probably seen me out there plodding along. Usually with a dark blue Colnago vest (Colnago has nothing to do with XC skiing but it keeps my core warm when it's only 10F out there). yeah, that's me.

say hi if you see me. loudly so i can hear over my iPod. :lol:

Return to “NorthWest/AK”