Things to do in Curry when you're ....there

WA, OR, AK, NORCAL

Moderator: Moderator Group

APU User
xcskiforum 10K

Things to do in Curry when you're ....there

Postby APU User » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:33 pm

I'd like to get some ideas or a better idea of what to expect in Curry. I'm on the March 10th train and though I'm dissappointed about the change in destinations I'm sure I'll have a good time in Curry, inspite of myself.

So, what should I bring? I have 3 sets of skis: skate, backcountry, and downhill.

Or maybe I should just take my snowshoes.

250 ft of vertical, if you can even ski it because of all the brush I think is there, may not sound like a lot of fun to some people, but if it is at all skiable I can wallow on that slope for hours.

If you were on the train of Feb 24th or you've been to Curry in the past, please pass along any tips you might have.

Thanks

APU User
xcskiforum 10K

Postby APU User » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm

I tried to link this message to a message I posted on NSAA web site, but the moderator would not allow it. I thought rather than hijack that site, because it's meant for trail condtion reports only, I'd link over here. Too bad it didn't work.

If you are in Anchorage and you're taking the March 10 ski train, then here's what I've found out and what you probably already know. It's just an area for touring. Period. Not much else going on.

I do know that those who went on the recent train are not very happy with their trip for numerous reasons.

I also have heard that: there probably won't be anymore Grandview trains. There may not be anymore ski trains.

The end of Grandview trains is coming from the Alaska railroad. They don't want the liability.

The end of the ski trains is also coming from the Alaska railroad. Apparently they either are not making any money on the deal and/or they are not making enough money on the train to justify the expense.

So long Fur Rondy. And maybe so long the ski train.

funhog
xcskiforum 10K

Postby funhog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 pm

I put on my metal edged touring skis, skins and headed up the cat track. Catch the knob on your right for great views, then ski along the ridge. Its kind of fun to meet your friends in the trees :) There was 2 or 3 inches of pow on a crusty base so skiing was fun.

My complaint about the train is how the railroad treated us. they were forever telling us to use bottled water to flush number 2 down. I bet the Aurora Car of dignitaries stuck onto the back of the train by the railroad at the last minute didn't have to do that. We sat for an hour out of Wasilla waiting for a train to come south. I know it was cold but it wasn't that cold. This is Alaska after all. What a way to treat a client you've had for 30 years.
It's all about fun....

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:35 pm

APU User wrote:I tried to link this message to a message I posted on NSAA web site, but the moderator would not allow it.

if you link, on the trail condition report, only the www.xcskiforum.com part, it gets thru (or to directly link to a post just copy/paste and delete the first part of the url. they filter or moderate anything starting with http to keep the spam out.

APU User
xcskiforum 10K

Postby APU User » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:35 pm

funhog, thanks for the tips on Curry.

Eilert, I'll remember that next time I try and link to a site from NSAA

Return to “NorthWest/AK”