Nods, canton Berne, Switzerland

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Nods, canton Berne, Switzerland

Postby ise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 am

A quick tour up around Nods to the Bison Ranch to try out Julie's new boots. The only food on offer at the ranch was soup or (obviously) Bison sausage which was pretty nice :D

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 pm

ah .. mea cupla.... :oops: :oops:

I got confused, this was a snowshoe day :oops: no skiing..... I'm out most days, it gets confusing which day was which although one of the reasons for taking photo's is to help me remember :roll:

LewLasher
World Cup

Bison are not native to Switzerland, are they?

Postby LewLasher » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Why is there a bison ranch in Berne canton?

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 am

There's quite a few farms with Bison in Switzerland. I don't know the lineage of these particular animals but Bison aren't unique to North America. The Wisent or European Bison is a distinct species from American Bison. As you probably know the meat is lower in fat and cholesterol than beef so there's a market for it.

LewLasher
World Cup

I will have to watch for them, the next time I am in Europe

Postby LewLasher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 am

Thank you for your polite answer; I should have checked Wikipedia first before asking such a stupid question. But, better late than never:

Wikipedia wrote:The American species has 15 ribs, while the European bison has 14. The American bison has four lumbar vertebrae, while the European has five. Adult American bison are not as rangy in build, and have shorter legs. American bison tend to graze more, and browse less than their European cousins. Their anatomies reflect this behavioural difference; the American bison's head hangs closer to the earth than the European's. The body of the American bison is typically hairier, though its tail has less hair than that of the European bison. The horns of the European bison point through the plane of their faces, making them more adept at fighting through the interlocking of horns in the same manner as domestic cattle, unlike the American bison which favours butting. American bison are more easily tamed than their European cousins, and breed with domestic cattle more readily.

Return to “Europe”