Les Fourgs, France

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Les Fourgs, France

Postby ise » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:23 am

This is in the French region of Franche-Comté in the department of Doubs in the Jura mountains a couple of km from the Swiss border.

Technically not actually open today although it was yesterday, today they were calling it "tracées mais non sécurisées" which basically means they've prepared it but there's no patrol. There's no ski pass charge either but as we've national passes that's not a big deal for us.

Anyway, this gives an idea of current conditions which are basically very good. There's a temperature spike for the weekend and we may see rain so it's hard to call for next week right now.

Tina
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Tina » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:43 am

hi,

your picture are awesome, i love seeing the snow everywhere! it seems that you are all by yourself in this world!

i will go to Montbéliard in February for skiing with my kids, it's their first time skiing and they are really really excited about it! they are talking about it everyday!! :)

i was wondering if you know nice places there, because we gonna stay there for a week and i've been looking on http://hotel.twenga.co.uk/france/montbeliard.html and on http://www.accorhotels.com/hotel-direct ... eliard.htm, but i'm not sure it's the best accommodation to have a mountain atmosphere!
my kids would like a place where they can have a chimney, candles and things like this :)

so if you can help me, it would be awesome! :)

thanks a lot!

cheers
Last edited by Tina on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 am

sorry! that's a long way from here, it's in the same region of Franche Comté as Les Fourgs but it's maybe 2 hours to drive there. I've never been over there!

Tina
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Tina » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 am

ok thanks a lot! :) i will!! :)

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:14 am

Some more photo's from Les Fourgs yesterday. The snow came just in time for the weekend after some rain destroyed that earlier stuff. They were preparing some tracks just in front of us as we skied them.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Ise,
One of our favorite days out around there is Secteur Mont Herba which sets of from the quarry in Jougne, 1st right at roundabout between Jougne and Les Hopitaux Neufs. The Bois de Ville boucle leads on to Mont Herba then over to Les fourgs or back to La Seigne Biathalon course and liason back to Jougne.
Just off the Mont Herba boucle is the refuge De la Joux complete isolation a great trip.
Goff

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 am

I'll give that a go sometime, I've skied from Les Fourgs via the biathlon course to Métabief as part of the GTJ but I've not been around Mont de l'Herba at all.

If you look at Openstreetmap you'll see I've added some of the pistes int he area. They're not on OpenPisteMap yet but they should appear whenever the the last OSM changesets render into OPM.

for now : http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=46.84 ... 5&layers=O

let me know when you're around, we'll go for a ski/snowshoe somewhere.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Ise,
We were due to be in Les Hopitaux for the new year but the weathers crazy -10snowing then heavy rain to wash it allway again.So will see what occurs, hope to be in the Doubs for all of Feb with a week in the alps for some alpine.So have to work something out Mont Suchet looks good.
Goff

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:17 pm

very true, those photo's are a case in point, both sides of the road at Les Fourgs but the snow's been and gone twice in between them being taken.

I'm away in France in Samoens and La Grave for a while after Xmas then back in February, hopefully the snow will be around by then :-)

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:41 am

I didn't take any photo's yesterday but I can do a short snow report from the Val de Sagne area.

As I guessed, the pistes were prepared enough to survive the temperature spike, it was about the warmest day yesterday. We had a layer of fog which reduced the radiative heating on the snowpack a bit. Around La Sagne there's certainly some earth and grass coming through in places but it's not so bad. The local problem there is big open areas where the wind had transported a lot of snow over the last weeks. Any pistes near trees or other terrain features have kept their snow really well so the more reliable areas, like Les Fourgs etc, are reporting near 100% opening. It's not likely we'll get significant snow in the next week but the temperatures are low enough to expect the tracks will stay in condition.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am

Beautiful.

What is the altitude there?
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 am

Altitude: 1,183.8 m (roughly)

all the photo's should be embedded with EXIF GPS data, so you can put the URL into an EXIF viewer and get a Google map as well the altitude etc:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?b=3&referer= ... 143647.jpg

or install that as a bookmark or a chrome extension.

Some background on the general area is in an article I wrote for Snowshoe Magazine :

http://www.snowshoemag.com/viewContent. ... ent_id=779

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Ken Roberts » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Your photos make it look like a wonderful place to hope to visit.

ise wrote:Altitude: 1,183.8 m

But seems like right now the snow is holding up better at some of my favorite XC ski centers in Savoie, higher up at like 1400 m or more.

If only les Fourgs were closer to Geneva, could be easier to try a visit impromptu when the snow is good.

Ken

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 am

Ken Roberts wrote:But seems like right now the snow is holding up better at some of my favorite XC ski centers in Savoie, higher up at like 1400 m or more.

If only les Fourgs were closer to Geneva, could be easier to try a visit impromptu when the snow is good.

Ken

It's all looking a bit desperate now, I was driving back from La Grave yesterday and you can't see much snow around. It's a journey I often make in spring and there was probably less snow yesterday than in April most years.

Les Fourgs looks good for some mountain biking right now :-( but, it does enjoy good snow compared to other areas. You also see the Massacre area gets some good snow closer to you.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi guys Les Fourgs is good for snow usualy,about the best area around there for late snow is Pre Poncet. Looks like some cold weather onway but not much snow if any Dire year :-( .
Goff

Return to “Europe”