Huge snowfall all over Europe

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Huge snowfall all over Europe

Postby Cloxxki » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:03 am

I skied yesterday again in my coastal Netherlands region. Last night we got even more. I got up early (for a Sunday), and will get out shortly again.
We don't have natural elevation here, but I'll go to a forwer waste dump turned recreation area.
The kids with sleighs and pedestrians make the skianble trails firm, but also very bumpy. Not real fun on a descend. So I hope to catch soe good snow this morning by being early.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:15 pm

HI Cloxxki,
Each year we bring our skis back to Enland in the forlorn hope
we will use them and this year we didnt :-( and we have now had snow cover
for three weeks and 20cm forecast tonight, :twisted:
Goff

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:34 pm

goff wrote:HI Cloxxki,
Each year we bring our skis back to Enland in the forlorn hope
we will use them and this year we didnt :-( and we have now had snow cover
for three weeks and 20cm forecast tonight, :twisted:
Goff

You just MUST have a pair of skis. Really, one at home, one on the car or something.
3 weeks of cover...wow...

Here, we received some 7-8 inches, in 2 seperate dumps. I think this worked out great. First day, it was so-so, second, pretty awesome.
I just spent 2 hours in my old town's park. An hour of trying to teach my buddy to skate on snow (he is way better than me on inlines), but he was worse than me on my first day of snow.
After, I spent an hour just skiing all the little paths of the park. Not an inch without cover. I just hit a bit of cut wood sometimes when I went off-trail.
People tend to walk over every inch of snow that covers the ground, so we have a bumpy but nice skating surface. As the night progressed, it did get crispier and crispier, quite bumpy and sketchy. But it's great to have all these tight corners to make short winding laps out of, even if the park resembles a pancake for terrain. I am now feeling much sturdier on my feet, I think it really helped to haste around like that. Small headlight, of course.
I left my skis at work (it's on the way home, so I can try to get a lunch break ski in tomorrow. I expect ever sketchier conditions, but FAST is also fun.
Some neighbourhood streets you can ski right over, cars don't quite manage to break through the compacted layer they created. Most fols don't have winter tires, which helps.

Will the UK become more and more of an XC nation now? Is anyone grooming? DYI grooming techniques become worth investigation with the way nature interprets "global warming"....

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 am

I think what you really meant is

"Huge snowfall in Europe for areas that don't normally see a lot of snow while areas that do normally got a lot of wind and warm air"

but I guess that's a bit long winded :-)

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:33 pm

No one is longer winded than me! :-)

6th consecutive day skiing for me. All while not skipping my usual running practices, or work. Yesterday and today I took a longer lunch break to go ski.
Trails are hardening up though, could really use a couple of inches of fresh white. The East of the country is now getting some though, I'll miss out this time.
But I can't really complain. 6 days in a row, and I seem to be getting options for several days to come, if I am OK to deal with ever icier tracks.
The legs are turning to jelly now. I am doing only less sports than when in Austria, and ski time is then nearly only alternated with eat, beer and sleep time. This is a normal working week, and all holiday this months are on the weekends...

Before thaw kicks in I should get to some of the lesser steep dikes for some technical climbing. The ones I tried so far were either too low or too steep.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:36 pm

No one is longer winded than me!

Blimey Cloxxki.
Im winded just reading your fitness regime.we are just classic cruisers, and in awe of the skaters who zoom past us with a cheery Bonjour.In
2009 we went to Mouthe to watch the end of the Transjurassienne Aliaksei Ivanou finished the 76k with fresh snow and -5 and looked like he had been for a brisk walk amazing! .The Uk will never be a XC nation simple fact when it snows, as the country is paralyzed :lol:.
Goff

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 am

goff wrote:No one is longer winded than me!

Blimey Cloxxki.
Im winded just reading your fitness regime.we are just classic cruisers, and in awe of the skaters who zoom past us with a cheery Bonjour.In
2009 we went to Mouthe to watch the end of the Transjurassienne Aliaksei Ivanou finished the 76k with fresh snow and -5 and looked like he had been for a brisk walk amazing! .The Uk will never be a XC nation simple fact when it snows, as the country is paralyzed :lol:.
Goff

I believe you have a young fellow called Andrew Musgrave who skies within mere percents from the world's best...
Many associate skating with "racing". Some shops call the ski even Racing Skis. It's much more about the low-impact, smooth movements and utter freedom than being too-exciting-for-most. If anything, I think skating skis are much easier to control on descends.
My usual fitness regime is running twice a week, if I am fast in any context on skis, it's because of natural aerobic ability.
This snow is demanding its toll from me though, I've had crazy eating frenzies and nearly dozing off at work. Need to get used to so much fun again.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:38 am

Must agree , our descents end up
looking like Bambi on the ice, allways looked like skaters had more control.
The Depot de Vente in Pontarlier has heaps of used gear so we will buy some and give it a whirl, with some lessons.
Goff

Return to “Europe”