My first trip

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Jonathan8146
xcskiforum 10K

My first trip

Postby Jonathan8146 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:59 am

Well, as I mentioned in my introduction, I've recently had my first experience of x-country skiing. I went to Finland for four nights/3 days, staying at http://www.yllashumina.com/. I didn't think I would actually get to ski as Finnair left my luggage in Helsinki due to the short time I had to change planes, but when I got up on the first morning it was waiting for me a t breakfast.

My instructor/guide was called Janne and he seemed to be an ex Finnish team skier, he told me he had commented on the x-country skiing for Finnish TV at the winter Olympics in Turin. He also said that when he had driven up to the hotel the weekend before it wasn't until he got to within 50km that he came across snow, although the place seemed to have plenty.

The first two days were really just spent learning how to x-country ski (classic), the long strides, poling, etc, a couple of hours morning and afternoon. We started around 10:30, before the sun came up, and finished around 3 when it was getting dark. There was no wind and I didn't feel the cold, thanks to advice on clothing I received form people on the nordic skiing newsgroup.

On one trip a couple of reindeer wandered casually across the well prepared tracks, seemingly oblivious of us. We saw very few other skiers, although it had apparently been busy the week before as it was a holiday in Finland.

The last day we went for a longer trip. We stopped at a lean-to, where there was a wood fire and people warming themselves, for a tea, then progressed up hill, seeing more reindeer cross our path, to a restaurant for more tea, before returning the way we had come as there wasn't time to complete the whole loop. On the return leg I managed to fall quite hard whilst going downhill (it's so much easier on big fat alpine skis) and had a lovely purple bruise for a couple of weeks afterwards. In the distance we saw a herd of reindeer crossing a frozen lake and everything was so peaceful, trees everywhere.

Definitely an enjoyable trip and one I would do again.

donpollari
xcskiforum 50K

Postby donpollari » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:52 am

Sounds like a nice trip.

I doubt it, but your instructor could possibly have been Janne Immonen. He was a national team skier from 1998(?)-2000 when he was busted for doping (along with Mylylla, Kirvesneimi, Isometsa, Kuitenen,...) at the World Championships which Finland was hosting.

This was a horrible scandal from which Finnish skiing at the international level has yet to recover from.

swervy jervy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby swervy jervy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:31 pm

I'm planning on doing the Finland border to border ski tour in March 08. If anyone has done it I'd be interested in hearing from you...

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:06 pm

oy! sounds like a wonderful trip.

when i first learned to classic ski i was fortunately in the tyrolean area of austria, and the valley had been groomed after a fresh 3ft of snow with almost 100k of trails. just heaven. i loiped around every km of trail that week.

cant wait to do it again someday, but skating the next time.

only wildlife we see on our trails in AK would be the nordic moose.
not a problem ....

with the exception that if you see a momma moose, you wonder if a baby is nearby but not seen. you dont want to get anywhere near a momma moose if baby is close by.

Jonathan8146
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Jonathan8146 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:50 am

I tried Googling for Finnish skiers called Janne and came across Janne Immonen, he looked a bit like him. Most sites were in the Finnish language though, so I couldn't be sure. He did have a Finnish ski team jacket, though, so it may have been. He said that he was also a maths teacher and had taught for a while in the UK.

Einar
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Einar » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:43 am

Maybe your guide was Janne Hakala.

http://www.slu.fi/verkkolehti/artikkeli ... _NUM=32312

Currently he is executive director of Finnish Biathlon Union.

smeurett
xcskiforum 30K

moose/grizz

Postby smeurett » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:38 am

only wildlife we see on our trails in AK would be the nordic moose.
not a problem ....

with the exception that if you see a momma moose, you wonder if a baby is nearby but not seen. you dont want to get anywhere near a momma moose if baby is close by.[/quote]

(Saw a lot of moose there when we skied Anchorage, even right downtown!) Hey-what about that big Grizz that took the nibble on the tasty buried powerline in Kincaid Park-shocking pictures I saw!! :0

Jonathan8146
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Jonathan8146 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:54 am

Einar wrote:Maybe your guide was Janne Hakala.

http://www.slu.fi/verkkolehti/artikkeli ... _NUM=32312

Currently he is executive director of Finnish Biathlon Union.

No, definitely not him, although it would be nice to think that I was that important to the Finnish tourist industry. :D

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

souther is better

Postby Ken Roberts » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 am

Eilert Pilarm wrote:when i first learned to classic ski i was fortunately in the tyrolean area of austria ...
cant wait to do it again someday, but skating the next time.

Having tried a week in Norway and a week in Sweden, I've come to prefer the scenery and color of France, Italy, Austria - (another reason I don't like calling it "nordic" skiing).

One drawback I've found in Austria is lots of trails restricted to Classic only. France and northeast Italy are much better about having wider trails which are well-groomed for Skating.

Over the American Presidents' holiday in February, Sharon and I are going to be based in the Südtirol region of Italy -- but I'm hoping we can drive up to ski in the Tirol region of Austria (like St Johann) for at least one day -- (even if I have to rent some Classic skis in order to enjoy more of the trails).

Ken

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 pm

i'm a tad jealous, mate

if you get on up to the st. johann area, even for a day, I do HOPE the snow ist sehr gut and the trails are ausgezeichnet!

:D

Return to “Europe”