Jura snow conditions

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Montydog
xcskiforum 10K

Jura snow conditions

Postby Montydog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 pm

We are off to Les Rousses on 14th February and the webcams are rather confusing. Certainly there seems to be no snow in Les Rousses or Lamoura but it looks OK at Darbella.
Anyone been there recently?
I realise that it could all change for better or worse overnight!

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Ken Roberts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm

You might want to try this page:
http://www.nordique-france.com/index.cf ... l&massif=4
(though it make take a little work to match the names there to the names you know)

As for the conditions changing, that's not what one of the current 10-day weather models suggests: no significant precipitation in view.

You might want to be prepared to hire a car and get some lodging (? during the peak French school holidays ?) further south, say around Savoie, where some of the cross-country centers are at higher altitude. See this page of reports:
http://www.nordique-france.com/index.cf ... l&massif=2

note especially: Bessans, les Saisies, Savoie Grand Revard (la Feclaz) -- which have interesting trail networks, in addition to higher altitude.

Even those centers might lose some of their trail coverage, or get some icy surfaces (after significant melt/refreeze cycles perhaps next week).

Perhaps you could still find some less expensive place in the remote Haute Maurienne valley (roughly around Modane to Bessans).

It's been a strange winter so far.

Ken

Montydog
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Montydog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 am

Very helpful information.

Our problem is that we have booked accommodation in Les Rousses (and paid a hefty deposit) mainly because it is the school holidays and high season.

I'll investigate the other resorts but I assume they are all a couple of hours drive away

Thanks again

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Postby goff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Monty.
The conditions are very poor at present some snow might be due
around the 15th. The Pre Poncet, Chapele De Bois areas have some tracks open at present and are about 30 min from les Rousses.
http://www.espacenordiquejurassien.com/index.htm

Goff

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Ken Roberts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am

My mapping program says it's about 1.5 hours drive from les Rousses to the le Revard entry (approx lat/long N45.682 E6.00) of the XC ski center at la Feclaz : webcam looks pretty good for one of the worst snow years -- helps to be up at 1350 meters instead of the typical Jura XC ski altitides.
    (but longer driving if do not have a car with a "vignette" for the Switz motorways. Very helpful to know which motorway sections near GVA are often considered "safer" from vignette enforcement. Routes which completely avoid the Switz motorway get fairly complicated, so I have a couple programmed into my GPS).
Les Saisies is indeed 2 hours or more (because not as close to a motorway as is La Feclaz) -- likely with accommodation more expensive because of its superior downhill-skiing facilities.

Bessans is about 3 hours drive from les Rousses (2.5 from GVA) -- at 1750 meter elevation in the quiet Haute-Mauriene valley (lat/long N45.32 E6.99), so it's webcam and trail report look a bit different from the Jura. I guess H-M versus Jura is mainly a question of snow-security versus convenience from Geneva airport or Paris driving.

Fifty years ago people could book the Jura with confidence in the snow. Nowadays, need a fallback plan.
    (Won't they be trucking on some snow so they can run the Transjurassiene race? Maybe can get some Jura skiing days on that?)
Maybe someday more skiers will just book in the Haute-Maurienne to start with. The drive to there from GVA is mostly on motorways.
    Only hang-up is getting thru the toll plaza just south of Chambery on Saturday. (but if ski the first day at La Feclaz, perhaps could go thru the toll after peak holiday traffic has subsided -- or use the alternate roads from La Feclaz thru the Bauges mountains to meet the motorway at exit 23 and thus avoid the toll plaza altogether.)

Ken

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Jura snow conditions

Postby ise » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 am

Montydog wrote:We are off to Les Rousses on 14th February and the webcams are rather confusing. Certainly there seems to be no snow in Les Rousses or Lamoura but it looks OK at Darbella.
Anyone been there recently?
I realise that it could all change for better or worse overnight!

I live close by and it's not really great at the moment. There's some isolated patches but not much extensive opening.

Some of the higher stations of the Oberland aren't so bad and I've just been down working around the Portes du Soleil area which is OK in places as well.

There's some excellent hillwalking at present but it's worth carrying some lightweight traction devices like Grivel Spiders or similar.

It doesn't look a great outlook, there's a persistent high pressure system which in simple terms is pushing some of the lower pressure systems northwards to the UK. The synoptic seem to be showing the high is dropping slightly which is going to be the essential ingredient if we expect to see any snow.

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Ken Roberts » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 am

Transjurassienne race is happening this weekend -- on a modified shortened course:
www.transjurassienne.com

So I guess they found (and trucked in?) some snow somewhere in the Jura.

Ken

P.S. The higher-altitude Savoie centers claim to be holding onto their trail coverage. But I'm bringing my old rock skis. And making specific plans for days with a little fast skating in the morning, road-bicycling and rock-climbing in the afternoon.

P.P.S. Some hope for new snow in the models for the next 10 days - (big no big storm).

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am

Ken Roberts wrote:P.S. The higher-altitude Savoie centers claim to be holding onto their trail coverage. But I'm bringing my old rock skis. And making specific plans for days with a little fast skating in the morning, road-bicycling and rock-climbing in the afternoon.

I was in the HS for work and it's not great. Some alternate plans are a good idea, snowshoeing may be worth a go for example. I'd be slightly cautious about rock climbing in some locations, the rock's still pretty cold and freeze/thaw action on some of the more friable sport routes will have left them a little dangerous. Big alpine rock or mixed routes are in condition and some of the ice is coming into condition. It's been quite nice on the bike as well.

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Ken Roberts » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Looks like the backcountry snow is going to get tricky for the next week or so, so I made a list of moderate / high altitude cross-country centers in Savoie which I haven't tried before.

Some are in the Haute Maurienne: Bramans (lat/long = N45.22342 E6.77486) and Sardières / Monolithe (N45.24329 E6.78053) - (smaller network, around 1500m altitude). In addition to Bessans which I've enjoyed before. (also more lift-served downhill-skiing options in the Maurienne).

Key thing I discovered is that there is a free shuttle bus (Fr "navette") that runs between the stations of the Haute Maurienne [ see schedule ]. Seems to run more frequently during holiday periods (esp. around Christmas - New Years, Easter, and the French winter school holidays), and sometimes have to phone in advance to request the bus to run.

So that could make it possible to sample cross-country skiing in more than one location during a week's holiday without using a car. The Bramans trail network has both a mid-altitude section (1250m, already higher than almost any groomed trail in the Jura) and high-altitude section (1750m).

Interesting thing about Bessans is that unlike most high-altitude XC trail networks which tend to have just a hut and a few houses, Bessans has a substantial village of stone houses right alongside its trail network.

Haute Maurienne region is accessed from Modane, a train stop on the Paris - Lyon - Torino - Milano high-speed railway. Also a major bus stop on the A43 motorway between France + Italy.

ise wrote:I'd be slightly cautious about rock climbing in some locations, the rock's still pretty cold and freeze/thaw action on some of the more friable sport routes will have left them a little dangerous.

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm thinking I'll just bring rock shoes + harness mainly just for indoor climbing (it's supposed to be kind of moist for lots of days anyway), with perhaps some outdoor bouldering if that becomes favorable.

Ken

ise
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 am

Ken Roberts wrote:Looks like the backcountry snow is going to get tricky for the next week or so, so I made a list of moderate / high altitude cross-country centers in Savoie which I haven't tried before.

doh <<sound>>, you're KenR off pistehors :o The penny only just dropped :roll:

Not sure where this snow is, it was supposed to be today but it's shaping up to be another high pressure day. If it comes it'll be from the west of where I am now and looking out the window there's no sign of it. There's maybe a little more vapour in the sky but it's not significant yet.

goff
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Jura snow conditions

Postby goff » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:11 am

Pre Poncet opened yesterday with 10k of trails with snow due for the next week,
heres hoping for a better season than last.
Goff

Return to “Europe”