Engelberg, CH

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

the_doctor
xcskiforum 10K

Engelberg, CH

Postby the_doctor » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Are there any good XC ski resorts? Any thing in the vicinity?

thanks

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Engelberg, CH

Postby Ami in Berlin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:57 pm

There's not a ton of trails in Engelberg, but it's OK.

At the valley level you can ski from the village for about 10 km up to the head of the valley. It has a slight incline, and you can easily get the free bus from either end. The trail is however not groomed that often due to the relatively low elevation.

Take the funicular or the first stage of the gondola up to ca 1300 m and there is a large trail network (maybe 15 km) through the trees. There are some ups and downs, but it's mostly flat. These are the best trails, and make sure to have lunch at the Untertruebsee hut. Great food, and you will see three generations of the family working in the restuarant.

Finally, there is a trail around the Truebsee at about 1800 m. It's a pretty boring 5 km, but the views are incredible.

So, there are better places to ski, but it's pretty good. The off-piste alpine skiing is world class, by the way.

the_doctor
xcskiforum 10K

Postby the_doctor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Ami in Berlin wrote:There's not a ton of trails in Engelberg, but it's OK.

At the valley level you can ski from the village for about 10 km up to the head of the valley. It has a slight incline, and you can easily get the free bus from either end. The trail is however not groomed that often due to the relatively low elevation.

Take the funicular or the first stage of the gondola up to ca 1300 m and there is a large trail network (maybe 15 km) through the trees. There are some ups and downs, but it's mostly flat. These are the best trails, and make sure to have lunch at the Untertruebsee hut. Great food, and you will see three generations of the family working in the restuarant.

Finally, there is a trail around the Truebsee at about 1800 m. It's a pretty boring 5 km, but the views are incredible.

So, there are better places to ski, but it's pretty good. The off-piste alpine skiing is world class, by the way.

So where should I go? I'm looking at cheap locales. Any place in Deutschland with good skiing? Would it be reliable for snow in March?

bill

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:27 am

Cheap and Switzerland are not normally words associated with one another (although you can do Engelberg cheaper than many other places in the country).

Where you should go sort of depends on where you are coming from and what kind of skiing you are looking for. A large, well organised, well prepared nordic center? Municipal trails? Forrest Service type roads?

If you are looking for good XC resorts (rather than downhill resorts with some xc trails as an afterthought), Seefeld Austria is a good place to start. In Switzerland, Davos and Klosters (right next to one another) are great, but extremely expensive. St. Moritz also rates very highly (I haven't been), but is famously expensive.

Germany has wonderful nordic skiing, when there is snow. If you get away from the Alps, the mountains in central and northern Germany are actually better suited to cross-country skiing (more rolling terrain than the deep valleys and steep peaks of the Alps). Oberhof, Altenberg, and Braunlage all offer access to massive trail networks. These are not true resorts, but rather many villages stretching over many, many miles that are all linked by trail networks. The issue is that the snow can be extremely variable, and because the trails are municipally maintained and not maintained by a fee charging resort, the trails are not always in the best shape. If you line in Germany and can make a snap decision to go ther, it's great. I'd hesitate to book a vacation there in advance, though.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Good stuff Ami!

I'd love to go to Oberhof myself, summer and winter. But without a car, it seems a bit hard to reach?

Seefeld/Leutasch is still my favorite, too. All the kinds of skiing you might want, pretty much.
I'm a bit hesistant to book right now, because of changes in Transavia fares. Returnflights in the morning from innsbruck are difficult to fetch, but evening flights addd €~80. A dilemma I have diffuclty dealing with. Lose a day and be frantically hurrying from early morning to make a flight, or add a part of a day's skiing, but spend over €100 extra for it.

I've now found out that the Toblach/Cortina region has a decently affordable bus connection from Innsbruck. They don't have a lot of snow yet, but I'm look for that option. Not easy to get good trail infor, but it seems you can ski not only from Cortina to Toblach, but also between other villages. I hate making long miles, but doing so between cities just turns it into something positive. I love that about Seefelt/Leutasch, the increasing option (providing lots of snow to cover gravel) to ski around the region.

I found cheap flight to Friedrichshafen, but the transfer to Davos pretty much killed that idea before I even looked at lodging. I really want to go back to Davos, I could bare stand on skis the first time, now I'm ready to explore the full trail network.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Just got back from a long weekend in the Garmisch area. Trails around Oberammergau were decent on Friday. Lermoos, Austria was good on Saturday with heavy snow falling. Snow turned to torrential rain Saturday night, and by Sunday morning there had been considerable melt. No skiing Sunday; watched the ski jumping instead (great day for the Japanese). Garmisch was very slushy on Monday. Off to Chamonix next week.

Oberhof is 3.5 hours from either Berlin or Frankfurt by train, which isn't terrible.

If you can get a cheap flight to Friedrichshafen, what about Oberstdorf? I've never been as it's a pain to get to from Berlin, but it looks good.

Getting info on the web about Italy is very frustrating. I've been kicking around the idea of going there in March (although the current lack of snow is troubling), but it's very hard to get any decent info. Val di Fiemmi looks great (and will host the next Nordic WC), and Courmayeur also looks good.

I love Switzerland, but the exchange is just so terrible at the moment. I managed to just about do Switzerland on a budget two years ago, but it meant living like a monk, and that was with the exchange rate at 1.5 rather than the 1.2 it is now.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 pm

If I could get a bench in an unheated monestary outside Davos, I'd book it for 3 weeks :-)
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

Return to “Europe”