Austria XC ski advice

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Superalvis
xcskiforum 10K

Austria XC ski advice

Postby Superalvis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:35 am

I am heading to Austria for a few weeks this winter in the leadup to the World Cup Master's in Asiago Italy. Except for a few set races each weekend and some non-skiing time in Viena, the plan is fairly open. Any suggestions on places to ski and/or accommodations (posh while my wife is with me, cheap otherwise) would be apprecieated.

Currently the plan is to land in Innsbruck and dirve to Saalfelden to do a 42K Skate race there. After that I will meet up with my wife in Wien (Viena) for five days. Then it is back to skiing. We will head to Oberammergau, Germany to do the König Ludwig Lauf.

After that we have about a week to ski. I am thinking of the Seefeld area (or we could stay in Oberammergau).

My wife leaves from Innsbruck, then I head to the Kitzbul area to do the Koasalauf 50K. I have three more days after that to make my way to Asiago. I am leaning on going to the Tobach area in Italy where I have skied before (and is at a higher altitude than Asiago).

Cheers,
Allan

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Austria XC ski advice

Postby Ami in Berlin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 am

A bit of a late reply ...

Seefeld is a good choice, especially if you're going posh.

Oberammergau is a cool little village, but once you've done the König Ludwig Lauf you will have pretty seen all the trails. Nicest place I've stayed there is Hotel Wittelsbach. Best meal I've had is at Gastof zur Rose. Not fancy but a great local place. They also have rooms but I haven't stayed there.

Mittenwald is an option just north of Seefeld in Germany. It's more a real town than Seefeld, and a lot cheaper, so I prefer staying there. But Seefeld clearly has the best trail network. Really, if you're going to be somewhere between Oberammergau and Kitzbühl, and that's the posh part of the trip, Seefeld makes the most sense.

Since you'll be passing through anyway, take a little time to look around Garmisch. It's a cool town. There are some OK trails, but the elevation is a little low to make it reliable. If you like game, have dinner at Zum Wildschutz: great venision.

I'll be in Leogang (just over from Saalfelden) for New Years, but haven't been before so can't comment yet.

I assume you'll be driving over the Brenner Pass from Kitzbuhel to Italy. I've never been to that part of Italy, so no idea what there is on that side of the pass. On the Austrian side there are plenty of alpine resorts between Kitzbuhel and Innsbruck, but not sure where you'll find the best cross country.

Superalvis
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Superalvis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.

There was very little availability in Oberammergau (when we booked in October). As it turns out it is Garmisch that we are staying in for the König Ludwig Lauf part of the trip. Hopefully the drive will not be too bad the morning of the race. It does not look far on a map, (but I have driven in Europe enough to know distances are not always reflective of how long it will take).

For the week after that, we are in Seefeld. It does sound like the best choice.

I am signed up for König Ludwig Lauf, and Skimarathon Saalfelden (which goes through Leogang) - I just have do the bank transfer payment. For the Koasalauf in St. Johann (not Kitzbuhel) I am still figuring out the exact dates I am going to be there before booking.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Garmisch will work out fine, and there's more going on there than in Oberammergau. I would highly recommend getting the bus up there for the race rather than driving yourself. It's 30-40 minutes from the main train station, runs frequently, and you won't have to worry about parking. I think the race actually starts in Ettal (ca 5km before Oberammergau when coming from Garmisch) and finishes in Oberammergau, so taking the bus also means not having to backtrack to get your car.

If you take a day off from skiing, heading up to the top of the Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany) from Garmisch is recommended, as is a trip up the Karwendelbahn tram in Mittenwald (halfway between Garmisch and Seefeld). Both are very scenic.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Just back from Leogang. Surprisingly good conditions given how warm it has been around the Alps.

First impression: Saalfelden is a rather ugly medium sized town. Trails are fine enough. Hochfiltzen just up the road in the other direction from Leogang is much nicer, and a great trail network.

There is no snow in Garmisch at the moment. The early/mid-December snow has melted, and it looks pretty dire now. The New Year's Ski Jumping had brown hills on either side of the jump. Hopefully it improves before you head out there.

Return to “Europe”