Please advise : skiing near Oslo?

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Please advise : skiing near Oslo?

Postby Cloxxki » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:40 am

I'm looking get a solid 2 weeks of skiing in, next February. As flight to Oslo are cheap, and the nation's love for the skinny skis is legendary, I'm exploring lodging near trails, so far without much luck.
It seems skiing is so normal to the local economy, clear info is not shared with tourists.

I'm looking to find affordable lodging, preferably close to a large XC trail system and not too hard to travel to from Oslo's airport.
Especially for a longer stay, lodging costs will be essential to be able to afford the trip.

Alternatively, I may consider flying into as far as the USA if long-term lodging can make up for the difference. The currently strong Euro might help for that.

Thanks for your tips!

J

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:47 am

I would recommend staying in Oslo, where there is a lot of competition for hotels (compared to a tourist destination such as Lillehammer). You can get to ski trails from the Oslo subway (T-banen).

When I went to Oslo in 2000, I stayed at a moderately-priced "business" hotel near the main train station (Oslo-S). That was very convenient for getting anywhere, including the airport.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:17 am

LewLasher wrote:I would recommend staying in Oslo, where there is a lot of competition for hotels (compared to a tourist destination such as Lillehammer). You can get to ski trails from the Oslo subway (T-banen).

When I went to Oslo in 2000, I stayed at a moderately-priced "business" hotel near the main train station (Oslo-S). That was very convenient for getting anywhere, including the airport.

Thanks!
With even the youth hostels in oslo rather pricey, and the snow currently absent, I've found other options :
Fly into Munich, then a train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Although famous for ski jumping, there's a Biathlon range for tourists.

Or fly into Salzburg Austria, and take a 40km taxi to Ruhpolding, Germany. Also a Biathlon spot, and home to some WC biathletes.

The Pensions around there seem reasonably priced. Snow right now at last is good.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is pretty much ideal. Yes, there is a biathalon stadium in Kaltbenbrunn. There are also extensive trails in Mittenwald and Oberammergau (site of the King Ludwig race every winter). Just over the Austrian border there is the Tyroler Zugspitze area with extensive trails through Erwald, Lermoos and Berwang. Oh, and Seefeld is also right there. All of this is reached easily by train or bus within 30 minutes from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Lodging is also cheap, and the town is amazingly beautiful. I'm not sure you could find a better location. I'll be there in three weeks, can't wait.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:07 am

Ami in Berlin wrote:Garmisch-Partenkirchen is pretty much ideal. Yes, there is a biathalon stadium in Kaltbenbrunn. There are also extensive trails in Mittenwald and Oberammergau (site of the King Ludwig race every winter). Just over the Austrian border there is the Tyroler Zugspitze area with extensive trails through Erwald, Lermoos and Berwang. Oh, and Seefeld is also right there. All of this is reached easily by train or bus within 30 minutes from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Lodging is also cheap, and the town is amazingly beautiful. I'm not sure you could find a better location. I'll be there in three weeks, can't wait.

Thanks Ami,
I may just meet you there then.
Last March I had a train from Munich to Seefeld, and indeed it was easy travelling. I passed the Garmisch Biathlon range (or a practice range of some kind) as the fresh snow was starting to add up to a good pile.

Only thing I figured from the maps, is that it may be a bit of a challenge to get from hotels to trails and back, with all being split in 2 villages. Also, trails seemed a bit scattered, but I'll have to look again.

Small downside is that Munich Airport is on the "wrong" side of the city.

Ruhpolding is still interesting to me, for it's Biathlon WC name mostly, and the seemingly doable taxi ride from Salzburg Airpoirt.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:01 am

I can't comment on Ruhpolding, as I've never been there.

Garmish-Partenkirchen is a pretty large town, so you're right that door-to-ski access may not be ideal. If that's a major concern, I'd recommend looking into staying in Mittenwald. Mittenwald is quite a bit smaller, but really a perfect Bavarian village with great restaurants and closer access to the trails. You can also ski from Mittenwald directly to Seefeld. Cross country skiing also seems to take a higher profile in Mittenwald, while alpine skiing dominates Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

The advantage that Garmisch-Partenkirchen has is that it is at something of a traffic crossroads, making it easier to get to trails in Oberammergau and Erwald-Lermoos-Berwang as well as Mittenwald and Seefeld. There are some trails directly in Garmisch-Partenkirchen running to Grainau, but it is admittedly somewhat limited.

If you are going for two weeks, the flexibilty to ski a variety of areas that staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen gives you counts for a lot. Staying in Mittenwald pretty much limits your activities to that particular valley, although it is a great valley to be in.

You are also right about the Munich airport being on the wrong side of the city. Once you get to the main rail station it's a very easy trip, but the S-Bahn ride there is a pain in the ... .

You'll have a great time no matter what you choose. Unfortunately my visit will only be for the weekend (a birthday trip), but we had a great week there last winter. We also just got back from two weeks in France (La Clusaz and Chamonix), so I really can't complain.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 am

I'm just back from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. They badly need snow (but some should fall this week).

It was warm this weekend, up to 10°. Basically no snow in Garmisch. The biathlon area was open in Kaltenbrunn, though, but travelling by it on the train it really didn't look like much fun. It's very thin: ice in the morning, slush in the afternoon.

I was downhill skiing. The Dammkar in Mittenwald on Saturday morning, where conditions went from maybe 30 cm fresh at the top to a hard rain crust to boiler plate ice to slush and back to boiler plate ice. I've never been more scared on skis in my life. The afternoon I took it easy on the slopes above Garmisch. Up high was fine, but it was all slush from about 1500 m down. Sunday I went over the border to Lermoos, Austria, and the conditions were fantastic. Tons of snow up high, and in excellent condition. Down low was abbrasive man-made snow, but there is plently of skiing between 1500 and 2000 m.

My girlfriend was cross-country skiing both days. She went to Seefeld on Saturday and said it was in great shape. On Sunday she went with me to Lermoos, but there was very little that could be skied. She used to trails at the top of the Ehrwaldalmbahn at 1500 m, but she said it was very icy. We saw some other people heading over to Berwang, which is the highest village in the area at around 1300 m. That was probably OK.

Anyway, if you're going to head down there, you'd better pray for snow. I can't imagine Ruhpolding is in any better shape, either. The nice thing about Garmsich is that even if everything right there is closed, you can easily get over to Seefeld on the train.

We're off for a weekend tour from Altenberg over into the Czech Republic and back in a couple weeks' time. They had great snow until a rain storm wiped it all away this weekend, but it's already snowing again today. Altenberg has a biathlon stadium as well, and the ski schools there run courses. Places like this and Oberhof often get overlooked by foreign visitors, but they are great for cross-country. Alpine skiing is not dominant as it is in the alps, so the towns are really geared towards cross-country. It is also considerably cheaper.

Return to “Europe”