Winter Finally Arrives in Berlin

Europe

Moderator: Moderator Group

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Winter Finally Arrives in Berlin

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:33 pm

After two years of warm winters, Berlin is finally in the icebox. I woke up this morning to light snow and about 2 inches on the ground. Not much I know, but it's the most snow I've seen in Berlin for two years.

It's been below freezing for the past week, so with the ground nice and frozen, I thought the park just might be skiable today. I headed out to the park across the street to skeptical looks from my girlfriend, commenting that I'd probably be back in 10 minutes.

Three hours later, I returned from a great tour. The open fields were a bit thin and bumpy, but skiable. The pond was frozen solid and packed with about 100 people ice skating and playing hockey, and also provided some good skiing. The dirt walkways that weren't sanded had been packed down by walkers to almost resemble skating trails. The paved walkways were also skiable, but poling was difficult.

So with our day trip tomorrow to the Czech border cancelled (the ski bus was called off due to too many people pulling out), it looks like a weekend of exploring the various parks around Berlin is ahead of me. With another 10 cm expected on Sunday and cold weather forecasted to continue, a week of pre-work dawn patrols is also in the cards.

Finally, a return to real winter.

I'll post up some pictures after the weekend if anyone is interested.

xxxxx

Postby xxxxx » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:00 am

Which park? Tiergarten?

I'd love to see some pictures. I love Berlin in the winter.

Cheers!

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Treptower Park, in the SE of the city.

I got in another three hours on Saturday. The snow that started falling Saturday night turned to freezing rain all day Sunday, so I stayed in. It turned back to snow Sunday night and dropped about 10 cm on us. It's clear and freezing cold now (-16°C this morning), and I'm hoping the snow will hold through next weekend at least.

I took a few pics that you can see here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/berliner_j ... 007008781/

A couple teasers:
Surprisingly Skiable

Frozen Lake

River Freezing Over

Ice Skaters by the Soviet War Memorial

Return to “Europe”