First 50 miler

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

First 50 miler

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:02 pm

I have been blowing off spring workouts for years....just not that into it. Last year, I didn't have many 2+ hr workouts in the spring and it was June 8th before I did a 3+ hr ride.

This week I decided to be different. I was on vacation and last Sunday I did my first 3 hr ride, and that kicked my butt. I did some longer rides (30 mi, 40 mi and a rollerski due to a sore butt) this week and today put in 50+ miles on my cross bike (3:11). I was surprised how easy it was. I think the ski season conditioning is mostly still there, so a sore butt is my main problem.

After the rains next week, I think it'll be clean enough for the good bike.

Jay

Shawn
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Shawn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:42 am

The last few years I've been a little slow also getting back on the bike after a winter of skiing. It seems that the first few warm days don't really seem all that warm while sitting on a bike riding into a head wind :lol:

But if the temps dropped and it snowed over night,I'd be out looking for a patch deep enough to ski on!

Why is this?

The longest ride I've done so far is 50miles. (my butt was sore)

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:21 am

I've been throwing in some rollerskiing along with the cycling. I have a hard time keeping warm cycling for 2+ hrs in 35-40F weather, even with the sun. Rollerskiing is very comfortable at those temps. If the skies are cloudy and the wind picks up, then it's really nice to ski on local trails that are out of the wind. So my crossover this spring has been slow. I can't believe the guys riding 100 miles last Sat. (22F at the start.)

Also, I've been trying to lift wts since I'm such a weak tit. For some reason I thought that wt lifting would make me stronger, but there wouldn't be any pain. After maybe 6 weeks, I'm still just going throught "the motions" (no real wt) and I'm sore. Damn.

Jay

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:26 pm

First spring ride today. My wife and I rode a local "club ride" 60 km. The group of 60 (or so) riders started slow, which is fine ...but then just kept moving at that pace. I had dressed for actually riding with a little bit of effort and was starting to freeze (temperature was just above freezing). I told my wife I was going ahead just to warm up and have a pee break. Apparently a few in the group said to my wife "I don't know if that guy realizes he is dropping everyone?" My wife said something like 'Yeah, he knows, but I guarantee he doesn't care :oops: "

A few others, including my wife, eventually picked up the pace. We finished it in about 1:55 ...reasonable for a slow spring ride. My butt is sore, but nothing else seems to have been even remotely taxed. I guess all those km (almost 2500) on skis help :D

We still have lots of snow as well, and had an amazing ski with the kids yesterday. We discovered "Crust Joring" where I was the horse. Kids got up to an amazing clip, especially when carving away from my tracks, and "cracking the whip". Everyone had a great time, the slight case of facial corn-snow rash not withstanding. :?

ka NUK

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Sore butt

Postby Glacier Glide » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Sore butt has been my problem on any ride over two hours. I bought a Selle SLC carbon on ebay a couple weeks ago. Have two 1 1/2 hour rides on it so far but the jury is still out. Reviews I read made it sound like it takes some getting used to. I usually leave the first half of April to projects in the garage, but I decided to bundle up and ride in the 50 degree weather. Though roller skiing makes sense in this cool weather, I would have a tough time getting motivated to strap on the wheely skis.
Cheers,
Jeff

Return to “Biking”