Most dogs are Ok, as are most owners...

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

Shawn
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Shawn » Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 am

Sounds like you have a good cop on the case. Life would be so much easier if things worked this way more often. I had an issue with a tow truck that had backed into my car in a parking lot then left the scene,but someone witnessed it and wrote down the plate. I went to the cop shop and the cops ran the plate,told the owner to come in and they basically said "We have a witness.......are you going to take care of this?" The answer was "yes" and that was the end of it. (The police intervened even though they had no real jurisdiction in the matter because the hit happened on private property,they helped me out)

Now that the lady had a cop in front of her while stating she would pay for your bike.........it's most likely she won't reneg on that commitment.

Good for you!

I too have family in the Lindsay area(Apsley). Small world. Peterboro has a great cycling club that you can ride with while your in town.

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Mon May 25, 2009 6:51 am

I'll count my chickens when I get a check*. Hopefully that will happen within a month or so.

In the meantime I've been trying to play catch-up with my training. Between the (non-swine) flu and crashes I've missed about 3 weeks. Last weeks time-trial wasn't too spectacular: 20km in 31:20. This week I've got a hill-climb on Thursday and a 60km hilly road race on Sunday.

Presently I'm spending about 500 km per week on the road and using time-trials as speed work. I need to sprint / climb more.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions for recovering from a lay-off? (No, riding the Giro doesn't count as recovery time for me ;) .)

2) Here is a profile of the hill climb:
What would you choose: Road bike or TT bike?

This is the biggest climb on the road race:

:partyman:
kaNUK

* I really mean "cheque", but corrected myself for the sake of all users South of the border. All measurements noted are metric. (Metric is better ...didn't you know?) :usa2:

Shawn
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Shawn » Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Cross country skiing has given you a pretty strong base.
Unless you feel noticably slower or gained weight,don't worry. If you feel you need more time on the bike,increase the duration but reduce the intensity. Lose weight and build general fitness without digging too deep and needing a big block of "down time" for recovery.

There is a cycling legend (Maybe he's not a legend but he sure has some experience behind him) hiding over my way,his name is Norman Sheil.
Norman says sprints are key to winning bike races,getting over hills and staying with the bunch.

Warm up. Do 30sec all out sprints, recover and repeat up to 6 times. When you can't get up to and maintain top end for 30seconds the workout is over.
Do this workout year round.

As for interval sessions.........he's old school......do 30k just below all out.

Good luck.

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 am

Someone asked for a picture?

Playing catch-up is going fairly well. No official results on the Hill Climb last week, but got 2nd in a sprint during the road race. ("B" category) Incredibly windy, and no-one was serious about going off the front. Going by yourself lasted about 5 minutes maximum, due to the 40 mph gusts across open fields.

kaNUK

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 am

kaNUK wrote:Someone asked for a picture?

Drool.......

:D :D :D :D

VERY nice sir!!

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks!

Here's a pic of the bike climbing :D

ka NUK

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:28 pm

OOoh man these new bikes are sooooooo sweeeeeet!
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm

kuan wrote:OOoh man these new bikes are sooooooo sweeeeeet!

....makes me want to run right out and .......wait....I don't have time to ride the bikes I already own :-(

Oh well

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:21 pm

enevala wrote:
kuan wrote:OOoh man these new bikes are sooooooo sweeeeeet!

....makes me want to run right out and .......wait....I don't have time to ride the bikes I already own :-(

Oh well

No kidding. If I put 1k each year on each of my bikes I'd have 4k this year. Instead I have 1000 miles on the Big Dummy already.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:26 pm

kuan wrote:
No kidding. If I put 1k each year on each of my bikes I'd have 4k this year. Instead I have 1000 miles on the Big Dummy already.

yeah, but those are quality miles :-)

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 am

Yup, that new-bike-smell sure is a great motivator to get out and use the thing! 500 km a week doesn't sound like that much any more :shock:

Got caught in the first rainstorm with it yesterday. While the six does look purty, it sure shows every spec of grime. And then there's the white bar tape... :roll:

kaNUK

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 am

Complain complain. You know you want these :D

And these pedals

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 am

ummm, NO! :D

More along the lines of these:

Yes, they are tubulars and the decals are obnoxious, but I can get a set for around cost price. I've broached the subject with my wife. She seemed to be quite interested after I told her they would work on her Madone as well :twisted:

Anyone have experience with carbon rims and the "special" brake pads required? Can these pads be used with the alu training rims as well? Would be a bit of a pain if every wheel swap would require pad replacement. Ultegra brakes, if it matters...

kaNUK

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Maybe you can get a set of carbon trainers?

:shock: :shock:

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 am

No, after unexpected "budget busters" I'm even putting the idea of a set of racing wheels on hold :-(

I'm going to see if I can make an old set of Mavic Cosmic Experts (alu deep dish wheels from the TT bke) work with a 10sp derailer.

Update on the insurance battle: I signed the release form last week, and their homeowner's insurance will write a check for the estimate. It's taken a weekly phone call from me to keep things moving along.

In the meantime I've done about 50 miles per day on average. I think at this point I need more interval / speed work. I'm falling into the "Zone 2" training trap... Where you are not going slow enough to recover, but also not fast enough to build speed and strength. Tonight's menu consists of a 5km hill climb TT this evening about 40 km from home. :twisted:

I bumped into a 300lb police constable last night. I barely recognized him, but he was an old friend of mine. We used to ride together occasionally about 20 years ago, before he became a cop and put on 100lbs :shock:
(I think I better keep riding and skiing!)

kaNUK

Return to “Biking”