Ragbrai

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Ragbrai

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:26 pm

I've heard about this ride, and I did it last week along with my wife. As they say, it's an experience I'll never forget. The problem is not riding 470 miles in a week, it's trying to get sleep every night. Bedtime has different meanings to different people, and trail whistles can be really, really loud in a tent at 200 ft.

Of the seven days, I managed to get in three days with intervals, and tried to stay out of the pacelines on the other days. For the most part, people ride at 13-15 mph, so if you ride 19 mph, you're a frickin' racer. 23 mph? You're on juice. 470 mi looks good on the training calendar. BTW, I started up a blog, and when I actually write something, I'll post the address. (Can't guarentee that I'll keep posting.)

Jay

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Nice Jay. 470 miles. That's about how much I get in a month!
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

enevala
World Cup

Re: Ragbrai

Postby enevala » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 am

MN Hoser wrote: The problem is not riding 470 miles in a week, it's trying to get sleep every night.

The problem is trying to get up in the morning after sleeping on the ground.

MN Hoser wrote: BTW, I started up a blog, and when I actually write something, I'll post the address. (Can't guarentee that I'll keep posting.)Jay

Cool! 8) Sounds like summer is treating you well.
There's always Twitter--blogging for short attention spans....

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, here's the address:

http://tworightshoes.wordpress.com/

All I'm writing about currently is hiking in the Canadian Rockies and Glacier (lots of photos), but a few of those hikes were gonad busters. Particular, a hike out of Lake Louise. (I used poles, and didn't quite "bound" the hike, but I was moving.) The other hard one was to Swiftcurrent Lookout in Glacier. It was 8 miles and something like 3400 feet in three hours, but that three hours includes stopping for photos. I ran part of the trail coming home, and that fried my legs for a few days.

After Ragbrai, I've been keeping the miles up and lately, doing some hard rides trying to get my heart into it's weird arrthymia pattern. (My latest research project.)

Started rollersking last Sunday. It was actually a big group for the first outing. They rolled pretty easy and there was lots of conversation.

Jay

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 pm

I finally got up something about RAGBRAI. It's not too long.

http://tworightshoes.wordpress.com/

Jay

Return to “Biking”