high hips

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

high hips

Postby Ken Roberts » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I do most of my riding on roads, because I've got lots of great roads close by, and not many good dirt trails open to bikes. I like pedaling up steep hills, and usually I pedal up them sitting
    . . . because it's a challenge, and because I think seated pedaling more specific training for climbing up steep hills on skis (classic) in the backcountry.
Lately I tried more standing, and clearly I can climb a little steeper that way. No surprise on asphalt road (though I guess pedaling standing it trickier to work on dirt because of losing traction).

Why does standing work better for the steepest climbs on asphalt?

High hips -- that's my new theory. Standing on a bicycle is like skating up a hill with high hips. Seated pedaling is like skating with my "butt down in the bucket".

High hips works better for high-force situations just by trigonometry: smaller knee-bend angle means that the same propulsive force to the ground can be delivered from lower tension force in the upper leg muscles.
    I think swinging the frame of a (road) bike from side to side while climbing (or sprinting) makes it possible to focus the range-of-motion even more on less knee-bend angle.
How come it's been so hard for me to get away from "butt down in the bucket" in my skating on cross-country skis?
Maybe it's why I spend all almost all my time seated pedaling up steep hills -- I somehow just like the feeling.

Key difference is that in bicycling it's easier to measure to find out which situations work better with high hips and less knee bend.

Ken

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Seated, the top of your pedal stroke will be before top dead center, or TDC, ie., mildly recumbent.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

Return to “Biking”