Rugged, Inexpensive, Functional All-Terrain Bikes?

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:21 am

kuan wrote:Please don't do Sears. There's more to assembling a bicycle than one might initially think. Please trust me. I put together a lot of bikes.

They do not face the BB. You will need to grease the seatpost yourself. They don't use a torque wrench. The brakes will have to be adjusted. They do not lube the cables. The wheels will not be true. You get lousy rim tape. You will pinch flat.

I know you want inexpensive and all, but if you could swing something like this

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/win ... 29comp.htm

I think you will be much happier.

Yes, if you read the edited (previous) post you will see that upon further research I am not getting the Titan Bike. There is no parts availability except from the distributor & component quality is suspect.

I am however, still considering buying the bike linked below from Sears if they will price match what is quoted on the site.

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/mer ... mds24-bike

No disrepect intended, but have you ever COMPLETELY dismantled & re-assemble a 1964 Harley Davidson "Big Twin" motorcycle? I mean completely, right down to individual, hand fit to .0002" (thats 2 1/10,000 inch) roller bearings W/shims & thrust washers, spokes hubs, etc?

The only thing I farmed out was balancing the engine rotating assembly. I learned to lace & true my own wheels when the local (Suzuki) motorcycle shop "professional" told me I had mismatched components (they where wrong) & that the spokes could not be laced as I tried to explain the proceedure to him.

If I can do that, I think I can find, (ain't the internet grand?) interpret & use data to assemble, lube & tune a damned bicycle. Do you think your loacl bike shop proprieteor was born W/some sort of inate bike knowledge? Any knowledge that was/is avilable to them I think I can find.

Frankly I have seldom found ANY of these "professionals" that have as much mechanical aptitude & overall mechanical experience as I do & most of the time I end up re-doing the very things I paid good $$$ to have done professionally.

Again, no disrepect, but unless you are over 30 years old I was building "stroker" Big Twin Harley engines before you where born. And I don't mean from a "S&S factory kit either. I was using modified EL flathead flywheels, doing my own internal piston skirt to skirt as well as flywheel interface & valve to piston clearancing. I have also worked most of my life as a skilled tradesman.

I appreciate your concern, but I think I can handle several hours in the garage W/my tools assembling, lubing & tuning a bicycle. The only thing that I have concern over is adjusting/tuning the shifting mechanism. I expect that I can get the info if needed from people on this or other sites.
Last edited by XCSKIBUM on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is that wax in your pocket or are you happy to be XC skiing?

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 am

XCSKIBUM wrote:I do however want full suspension. My riding is probably going to be vastly different than what most of you do. I need a bike that will traverse some rugged albeit fairly flat terrain. I will need to cross creeks & wash gullies as well as detours around blowdowns.

Counter-intuitively, full suspension does *not* help you ride technical terrain at slow speeds- it's actually more of a detriment. It makes it far more difficult to keep constant tension on the chain which is necessary when traversing difficult terrain slowly.

What does really help though, are big wheels- 29" wheels to be exact. They get pricey, but 29ers are way cool for riding difficult stuff. They have a better angle of attack and a larger tire contact patch.

When it comes to technical stuff, I'd rather have my fully rigid, single speed 29er than anything else.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 am

Biffbradford wrote:Knee jerk reaction to the Cadillac: I like it better. At least it has some name brand parts on it like Kenda, Suntour, and Shimano.

Yep, although if you're comfortable around tools- lots and lots of really great deals on the used market. It's often a crap shoot- but working on bikes is *way* easier than old harleys. And most everything you'll ever need to know can be found here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am

Askel wrote:
XCSKIBUM wrote:I do however want full suspension. My riding is probably going to be vastly different than what most of you do. I need a bike that will traverse some rugged albeit fairly flat terrain. I will need to cross creeks & wash gullies as well as detours around blowdowns.

Counter-intuitively, full suspension does *not* help you ride technical terrain at slow speeds- it's actually more of a detriment. It makes it far more difficult to keep constant tension on the chain which is necessary when traversing difficult terrain slowly.

What does really help though, are big wheels- 29" wheels to be exact. They get pricey, but 29ers are way cool for riding difficult stuff. They have a better angle of attack and a larger tire contact patch.

When it comes to technical stuff, I'd rather have my fully rigid, single speed 29er than anything else.

Point well taken on the dual suspension, but my 60 year old A$$ will like the "soft tail".

I understand the 29" wheel advantage but I think the 26" wheels will be easier to get tires/tubes for up here on the tundra.

I got a return call from the Cadillac Bike Shop. It looks like 17" frame for Wifey & a 19" frame for myself would be appropriate.

Now lets see if Sears wants to price-match.

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 am

Sears price match policy?

They will only match online retail prices if the retailer has a "local store" that will honor the online price.

What's ironic is the fact that Sears DOES NOT sell this bike @ ANY store, it is online sales only!

So in essense, they are not honoring their own rules as THEY do not honor their online price @ their local retail store.

They offered me a 10% discount that = about $116 for 2 bikes while the online price from their competitors is $370 less (than the lst price @ Sears) for 2 bikes!

Now, consider that W/Sears I will have to pay 7% NYS sales tax & 2 of the bikes will cost me a total W/shipping of $1,161.58. I can buy 3 of them from either of 2 online retailers for $1.199.97 W/3 free helmets. Cheap helmets I'm sure, but still, an extra bike & 3 helmets for less than $40.

Looks like I'll wait for my check that GM owes me for excessive vacation deductions to come in. $361 is too much money to throw away.

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Askel wrote: And most everything you'll ever need to know can be found here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

Great link. Thanks. :thumbleft:

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 am

Biffbradford wrote:Knee jerk reaction to the Cadillac: I like it better. At least it has some name brand parts on it like Kenda, Suntour, and Shimano.

Well, I bought the Cadillac MTB from here. http://www.bikes4families.com/cadillac- ... -p-94.html
I got an additional $10 off & 2 spare tubes along W/the free helmet for a total shipped price of $389.99.

Here is a link to my 1st impressions & 1st ride report. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... mpressions

Overall, I am very pleased so far.

Return to “Biking”