KHS XC904r Frame Build-up?

Something for summer

Moderator: Moderator Group

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

One of the LBSs has some NOS 15" KHS XC904r frames for a great price. These are 2007 models W/the Rockshox MC 3.3 shock W/motion control.

I'm wanting to build a FS MTB for my wife. We don't do a lot of highly technical riding, but some of the trails here in the Northern Adirondack have some nasty tree roots & some occasional lumpy downhill stretches. Her hardtail hybrid (Specialized Ariel Sport) has been able to get by so far, but I'm afraid that it will not hold up to that kind of riding for long & the tree roots are very unconfortable W/a hardtail.

I am looking to put together a functional FS MTB W/lockout front & rear W/mech disc brakes. I prefer discs mainly for use in the wet sloppy conditions we encounter. I do not want to go to the expense & trouble of hydraulic disc brakes. I have Promax mech disc brakes on my FS MTB that have upgraded sintered metal pads & they do a fine job. I would like to keep the price down near the $1K range all up.

The LBS also has a (new) 2009 Fuji Police Bike W/a Rockshox Recon 351 (air?) fork W/lockout, mech 160mm disc brakes, Scram X7 shifters/derailers, (3X9) etc. I can get both the KHS XC904r frame & Fuji PB for $1K. The PB also has a nice rack & suspension seatpost that I would probably use on her Ariel Sport. All of the components seem like they will be compatable. The LBS owner is going to check out the BB cartridge compatability Monday. If I have to buy a different BB cartridge, that woudn't be a deal breaker.

I know the Cane Creek S-2 headset that comes W/the KHS XC904r frame does not have a good rep so I would probably use the headset from the PB. The Tektro brakes would probably be upgraded eventually to Avid BB7s. Aside from those 2 components & a possible BB cartridge purchase, it looks like swapping the components from the PB to the KHS XC904r frame would make a solid little FS MTB for my wife.

Does anyone have any imput on a less expensive way to achieve the same level of performance?
Last edited by XCSKIBUM on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is that wax in your pocket or are you happy to be XC skiing?

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Removing headsets would mean special tools. Frankly speaking, I don't see much of a difference between a $100 headseat and a $20 headset.

You could also go to bikesdirect and see if you can get a complete FS bike like this and swap parts if you want

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... 00ds_x.htm
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

XCSKIBUM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby XCSKIBUM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:27 pm

kuan wrote:Removing headsets would mean special tools. Frankly speaking, I don't see much of a difference between a $100 headseat and a $20 headset.

You could also go to bikesdirect and see if you can get a complete FS bike like this and swap parts if you want

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... 00ds_x.htm

I've just heard a LOT of feedback about the Cane Creek S-2 headsets having an issue W/bearings rusting. This bike will spend nights outdoors when we are camping so that could become an issue.

As far as the Bikesdirect option?

The particular model bike you sent the link for has a Dart 2 fork compared to the Recon 351 Air & @ a higher price to boot.

Also, the KHS frame has a 31.6" ID seat post tube as does the PB so the front derailer & seat posts (bushing) will intechange.
Is that wax in your pocket or are you happy to be XC skiing?

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh the KHS is a fancy bike! I dunno if you can get better than your deal. $1k is pretty good.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

Return to “Biking”