Rollerskis and Dogs Don't Mix!

Anything goes, politics, jokes, etc

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Rollerskis and Dogs Don't Mix!

Postby dcpattie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:56 am

What is it about rollerskis that makes every single dog in Northern Virginia lose its mind? I've been told by "dog experts" that it's a combination of the loud clanking noise from the pole and the never seen before "gait" of a rollerskier. The little yappy dogs are the worse but I'm more concerned about the Pitbulls (anyone else notice that Pitbull ownership is up something like 10,000% in the past ten years?). My calculation is simple: Threat = Capability x Intent. Pitbulls have mountains of capability. Most have been trained not to have intent...most.
Last edited by dcpattie on Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Rollerskis and Dogs Don't Mix!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Dogs are often unpleasant, and most of the time it is because they are badly raised and trained. It is good as a roller skier to have two sharp poles if a dog gets too annoying. A few times I have missed them while biking.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon May 01, 2017 1:57 pm

I can confirm this. Practically all dogs go mental at the sight of me rollerskiing. I have lost count of the time I've been run at and even attacked. A massive rottweiler came after me in huge strides (not barking, full attack), I had to take out my 'death cry' and wild flailing of the poles to stop the attack until the owner caught up. Scary as hell.

One time, a doberman on a leash went so wild at the sight of me the owner had to physically sit on it to contain it, and even that was touch and go. Other dogs have bit at the poles I'm using to stave them off with.

This year I've decided to root it out as I see there are regular dogs attacking. No more polite staving off, hoping the dog doesn't get around my guard. I will counter straight away, putting them off. I will also confront the owners more, even report them if the dog is not leashed. A camera will be recording.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 am

I just try to get off the multi-use pathway by 0830 which is usually before the dog walkers are out in force.

Do dogs go nuts for inline skaters or skateboarders?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 pm

One good thing Ontario has done is make it real hard to own a pitt bull. Lots of regulations and extra cost, and a muzzle is required when in public.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Heard someone shouting desperately for their dog on today's run and turn around to see one come bounding after me quite close, but manage to stop any further charge by turning and putting out the poles which put a stop to it.

This was on an old slippery wooden bridge where I can't use the poles so have to go really slow. It didn't look a fighter or guard dog, so might just have wanted to play or check me out, but still got my heart racing. I had the camera with me, but had switched off somehow.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sun May 28, 2017 4:08 am

I discovered the Bermuda Triangle of rollerskiing, Dog---Rollerskier---Dog.

Whenever possible, do not get between two dogs on a narrow trail...highly unpredictable!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 28, 2017 9:32 am

dcpattie wrote:I discovered the Bermuda Triangle of rollerskiing, Dog---Rollerskier---Dog.

Whenever possible, do not get between two dogs on a narrow trail...highly unpredictable!

Ha, ha! Thanks, Dave. I shall try to avoid that.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 pm

dcpattie wrote:I discovered the Bermuda Triangle of rollerskiing, Dog---Rollerskier---Dog.

Ouch, what happened? Were you bitten?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Neuro wrote:

Ouch, what happened? Were you bitten?

The two dogs attacked each other so both owners leashes were stretched across the path like a clothesline. With the Jenex brakes I was able to slow down fast enough to avoid disaster.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon May 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I see. That can also be painful but good you had brakes to avoid it.

On my run today I pass a big black dog sniffing the bushes and just as I pass it sees me and lunges so hard the owner is jerked after, but he managed to control it and lucky I had speed at that point. Got my heart racing I can tell you.

It's almost getting out of hand. I stopped a council car inspecting the river path and asked what they do about illegally unleashed dogs, and he basically just shrugged even if it's their specific duty.

I think probably the best way is to involve the media so if I do get attacked I will make a big fuss and then maybe the media will find out it's a bigger problem not just for rollerskiers and something will come of it.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Neuro wrote:It's almost getting out of hand. I stopped a council car inspecting the river path and asked what they do about illegally unleashed dogs, and he basically just shrugged even if it's their specific duty.

Today's standard of law enforcement.

Neuro wrote:I think probably the best way is to involve the media so if I do get attacked I will make a big fuss and then maybe the media will find out it's a bigger problem not just for rollerskiers and something will come of it.

The media will probably run a background check on you, and if they discover that you have controversial opinions of any kind -- like considering truthfulness an essential part of society -- you won't get their attention.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Whatever controversial views have never been voiced publicly. 8)

I have seen the police on my path arresting some druggers, and it feels really weird to know that the loose rottweiler who could easily have mauled me and others are not even on their radar, but come in full force for the drugger zombies who are a threat to no one. Next time I will ask them how they view this.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

Neuro wrote:Whatever controversial views have never been voiced publicly. 8)

Is it a question?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 am

I meant me, should have made that clear.

Return to “Way Off Topic”