Gas Prices

Anything goes, politics, jokes, etc

Moderator: Moderator Group

zeek
xcskiforum 20K

Gas Prices

Postby zeek » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Does anyone else feel the need for a lifestyle change with pending gas price increases? I am sincerly concerned for the upcomming summer and the effect gas @ $1.35-$1.40 a litre will have on my week-ends with kid's sports , driving around, holidaying etc. I am glad I don't own a motor boat.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:08 am

My commute to work is only 3 miles ... I could walk that if I had to plus my overhead is relatively low, so I think I'll be able to chase bike races within 100 miles this summer (to photograph :D ) ... unless prices hit $4/gal of course. ;)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:51 am

Perhaps the more realistic gas prices will help your nation get rid of some of its consumerism.
Here in Europe, gas is around €1.50/$2.30, and has been for quite some time.

Newsflash, there ARE in fact more cost-, environmentally, and even time-efficienct modes of transport. How often do you really need a full-sized car, of all your mileage? Which percentage of Americans really rides an engineless bike for transportation?
How many cars that run 50+ miles to the gallon do you know by heart?

Skis for the odd sporting trip fit inside nearly every car, let alone on top. Commuters tend to travel alone, in eve bigger cars. Cars are overly big and pollutive, and which-ever way you turn the truth, the USA has the most pollutive traffic usage. Big, unefficient cars are the standard. Do you need that?
The American Dream you see as everyone's right, however, if the rest of the world would become the same, and would claim the same rights, there would not be enough room on the face of the earth to house us all with double garages.

You may be the largest mostly English speaking country in the world, everything is not about you. Under 5% of the world population reside there, and the other 95% fails to see ways in which they should be more like you.

If gas prices will bring people to use their cars less, that'll be more than worth it. I'll have to be even more conscious about where I drive too. Hopefully one day, public transport will prove cheaper than the car again.

Bring your gas usage down, gas prices will follow. Build some windmills and stick solar panels to your roof.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Cloxxki wrote:Perhaps the more realistic gas prices will help your nation get rid of some of its consumerism.

Our consumerism?

How many pairs of skis did you buy this winter?

:lol:

zeek
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zeek » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:50 pm

I don't feel a need to trash someones' country in response to rising gas prices. And I felt consummerism was alive and well in Europe.It certainly is here in Canada.It rightly or wrongly drives our economy.I am certainly no fan of it but I enjoy it's benefits .IE steady employment less dept etc. And big cars are certainly gas guzzling polluters.I have had a few in my time. My 75 2dr cougar w a 318 4bl was a scream to drive\ but just a pig on gas. Need a boat to pull your boat. Never again.
But yes I commute on my bike to work .It is 10KM one way with the majority down a flat railway bed. I have commuted to work on and off for 25 yrs. For a couple of years in my teens actually x.c skied to work .For two seasons only.That was in another town and it was less than 3 miles.
It will be interesting to see how many more people start riding to work if gas prices increase as projected. Kudos to any one who parks their cars in spite of the rising prices.
If I get rid of my double garage i'll have nowhere to keep my snowblower and lawnmower and chainsaw and weed eater and tiller or my 20 pairs of skis [antique to modern]
When solar goes mainsteam i'm in.I have an ideal south facing roof.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm

As an avid bicyclist and motorcyclist, not to mention a long standing crazy guy who likes to drive his car way to fast with complete disregard for others on the road, I'm kind of hoping this $4+/gallon thing comes true. Less traffic to contend with. :D

donpollari
xcskiforum 50K

Postby donpollari » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Energy prices including gas are going to go up continuously - the real newsflash is that Peak Oil is here and the only sane thing to be done about it is to transition to an economy based on renewable energy as soon as possible. The first, easiest and most beneficial first step is to conserve energy. The vast amounts of energy that are wasted is enough to make a thinking person nauseaous.

Jimmy Carter had programs in place thirty years ago that would have had this nation going in the right direction. Those values were flushed down the toilet starting with Reagan and everyone went on a decades long greed binge.

Alarmist reading but recommended - "The Long Emergency" by Jim Kuntsler. One quote from that book; "Different arrangements will have to be made".

:albino:

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:08 pm

$2.15 / gal here today. $2.24 / gal west of the city. :-)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup

Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )

Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

trango
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trango » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 am

While I was happy that the higher prices this summer increased interest in bicycles for transport, I'm even more happy that the price here in Minnesota is down to $1.94/gallon in time for the ski season, when I do most of my driving.

Return to “Way Off Topic”