Fischer Twin Skin at 2019 Birki

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

drylander
xcskiforum 10K

Fischer Twin Skin at 2019 Birki

Post by drylander » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 pm

I am looking at the twin skin carbon and curious about any recent opinions on these during races, mixed temps and rough tracks? How will they compare to my waxable ski from 10-30F? The carbon has just a little shorter skin for experienced skiers.

Montana
World Cup

Re: Fischer Twin Skin at 2019 Birki

Post by Montana » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:21 am

I do not own a pair of Twin Skins but while standing in line to pick up my race packet for the Rendezvous Race in West Yellowstone last week I talked to a guy who used them at the Birkie the previous week. He had New Moon do a high fluoro glide wax job on them. He was very satisfied with how well they glided during the Birkie. He had no complaints about grip for the 55 km distance.

He also told me a story about having one of the skins separate in the week prior to the Birkie. He had a shop replace the skin but the new skin was of a greater thickness that the original and he was not satisfied with the performance. When he got to Hayward he had New Moon replace all four skins on the pair of skis. This, he said, completely solved his problem.

I should have asked him what he might have used to periodically clean or treat the skins. There have been reports of some products containing solvents that deteriorate the adhesive on the skin. I'm now wondering if this might have caused his problem with one of the skins separating from the ski.

I'd also guess the guy was not a fan of any type of grip wax because he planned to use the Twin Skins in the Rendezvous Race where conditions were cold, dry packed powder. -4 F at the 25 km classic start with warming to +14 F by 11 am. Seems like a good grip wax would easily handle these conditions. I used SkiGo HF Violet for grip and had bomber kick with great glide.
40th consecutive Birkie in 2020!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

drylander
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Fischer Twin Skin at 2019 Birki

Post by drylander » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for those comments. I agree I would have been tempted to use my waxables in the colder temps but interesting he is happy in all those conditions. I'm looking forward to picking up mine at New Moon and testing them out while I'm there late this week.