Reducing camber

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Reducing camber

Post by Neuro » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am

Now that I mostly go longer trips more than training runs, I would like to reduce camber so I don't have to jump on them to get good kick, so I clamped them together for 24 hours but it didn't change the camber one millimeter (camber is at 25mm, 50mm when both together).

I will try longer periods to see if that will change any, but if anyone has any tricks or ideas those would be welcome. Would heating them help? (if so how would I go about heating them?)

Montana
World Cup

Re: Reducing camber

Post by Montana » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am

My skis have binding plates. Rather than attempt to reduce the camber I move the binding forward one or two notches. Can you try this on your skis?
40th consecutive Birkie in 2020!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Raubie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by Raubie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:17 am

Sage advice from Montana if you’re using NNN.

I have a similar issue w/a pair of *stiff* Fischer training skis (SNS)—so stiff and un-kickable that there’re like standing atop leaf springs. Ideal for double-poling, but useless for striding. I remebered an article Zach Caldwell wrote about using clamps to change camber on a set of his skis, so I tried that last year...

Results (using three clamps per ski spread closely over the kick zone, w/the middle clamp near the binding pin, and a piece of tape along the entire kick zone w/marks every 1.5” for pre- and post-clamping measurements/∆)
After 24 hours: NO change. Hmm, obstinate little buggers, aren’t you?
But after 48 hours, the camber was reduced by up to 1/4 inch (using a digital calliper). Much better, but not yet “ideal.” I had to re-clamp them again this year.

I’ll see if I can find Zach’s article.

PS: I also changed the flexors (Propulse RC2) from the original Yellow (#85) to a slightly more aggressive Grey (#95). Not enough miles on them yet to sense if that made much difference.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Yeah I've tried moving the binding all the way forward but they still won't bite unless I jump, but encouraging to hear the clamping will work if it's on for longer so I'll try that. (also with more than one clamp)

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:28 am

Almost 3 days under the clamp now (only single, couldn't find the other one), but only reduced by 2 mm. Wouldn't be surprised if they return to 0 after use.. Hopefully go out for a run tomorrow to check.

Should say these are racing skis (Salomon RC Equipe) which I suppose could be more 'firm' in the shape than touring skis?

Raubie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by Raubie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

You shouldn’t be surprised that the camber of a racing ski is resistance to being altered—that’s the engineering spec ;)

In my case, one clamp didn’t quite completely close them, so I added two more, and laid them flat in the warmest spot of my basement. I was prepared to leave them clamped for a week or longer if necessary. Glad I clamped mine—they’re a much more usuable ski now.

Interestingly, comapred to two sets of 812 Carbonlites (medium), the resting camber is still almost 40% larger.

Good luck with yours.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 am

As the season is over, I will now clamp them for as long as it takes. Whole summer if need be. I'll measure once in a while to check and report the findings here.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Post by JeffOYB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:36 pm

I'd think there are two qualities we are concerned with here: camber HEIGHT and camber PRESSURE.

You could have a high but soft camber. Or you could have a low but stiff camber. Right?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sat May 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Had the skis tightly clamped for exactly a month, and boiinng!! ..back to same measurement, it's crazy.

I will leave them clamped until next season start now but no surprise if they remain unchanged.

There might be difference height vs pressure so I should probably measure with a piece of paper under and add weight to check that way if the stiffness has been altered, let's see if I'm able to find a way to do it.