Roller skis...a quick bit of advice!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Coop8640
xcskiforum 10K

Roller skis...a quick bit of advice!

Postby Coop8640 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Guys with the summer months approaching i was thinking of continuing to improve my XC experience with a bit of roller skiing, but i was just wondering before i start on the actually roller skis themselves...would it be of any benefit to me to just start on some skates (I can skate!) to get the technique and the motions and generally just get used to it?

Thankyou :)!

moomba
xcskiforum 20K

Postby moomba » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I was going to get roller skis also, and decided to get new rollerblades. I read up and where i ski, there are some big hills. I don't know how you stop on those things. Sharp 90 degree turns on the bottom of steep hills are not fun. Just my 2 cents

FrontRunner1
xcskiforum 10K

Postby FrontRunner1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:04 am

My only caution is that you can learn bad habits on blades vs. rollerskis. If you are confident on your on snow technique rollerblades do provide a safer alternative for dryland training. As someone said " Champions are made in the summer". I say say "I am a rollerskier who skis in the off season".

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:05 am

I may be in the minority here, but I feel considerably more confident on my rollerskis than on rollerblades. I'm using the wooden skis and the brake is deceptively powerful.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:47 pm

The techniques are different. Rollerblades are way too fast and the kick is more backwards rather than sideways.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I user rollerblades much more than rollerskis - they seem much safer. They can mess up your technique if you're not very careful - but it's possible to ski correctly on them. I don't think they improve balance as much as rollerskis, since balance is easier. Conversely, they allow me more confident, committed technique - I would have learned V2 much more slowly on rollerskis.

I also don't lace them up above the ankle, so I can get a bit more forward flex.

It's important to get the slow rollerblades - or at least slow wheels. Mine have two wheels each called Carbonics - overall they roll about the same as fast snow conditions.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

moomba
xcskiforum 20K

Postby moomba » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

Intersesting hearing about using slow wheels. Weird how you want to have faster skis, but fast rollerblades are too fast. I was told by a friend who races on rollerblades to get the tallest and hardest durometer wheel i could get to be fast. I got 84mm with 84 duro hardness. They are way too fast. Yeah to simulate skiing, one should get 76mm wheels with a softer durometer. BTW, the comment about the wood rollerskis is interesting, and i need a pair.

Werks
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Werks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:49 pm

I find that rollerskiing translates well to snow skiing, and is a good way to work on technique and conditioning in summer. I used to rollerblade for
technique but it did have a negative impact come winter.

As John already mentioned, I reckon that if you have strong technical skills to begin with, rollerblading might not be a problem.

I ski on medium speed wheels, but this year am going to try slow wheels for more resistance, and to more closely match my snow
skiing speeds. I still rollerblade on occasion, but just because it's fun :)

Tom

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm

moomba wrote:Intersesting hearing about using slow wheels. Weird how you want to have faster skis, but fast rollerblades are too fast. I was told by a friend who races on rollerblades to get the tallest and hardest durometer wheel I could get to be fast. I got 84mm with 84 duro hardness. They are way too fast. Yeah to simulate skiing, one should get 76mm wheels with a softer durometer. BTW, the comment about the wood rollerskis is interesting, and i need a pair.

Continental invented rain wheels. Some weird rubber compound. They were so incredibly unless, for being slow, that the nordic crowd make special inline for them, to invent nordic blading.
I have 90mm ons. Some even use a single non-bearing version per skate. Utterly slow, too slow for me that way. I now use 3 non-braked 90mm Conti wheels, and I think that on snow I'm actually faster. Although, the decelleration curve may be totally different.
My main problem now with the inlines, and I never thought I'd say that, is the insufficient wheelbase. The inline are twisty. Good when you're trying to stay upright, but bad when you're tryying to actually shift your weight and then power through the poles.
I'm finally switching to Skikes now, which are a bit faster than snow for sure. Lower tire pressure makes then unpleasant, and still useless offroad, but at least bad pavement is no problem at all anymore, whereas inline are for pristine asphalt only unless you're really comfortable with them.

All skates on the markets are inadequate to me, as in: I just hate using them. I'm into various sports, with snow XC on top, and road skating pretty near the botttom. Yet, I'll have to, to be worth anything come winter.

A guy in my country home crafted skates with 12" wheels. Those actually work on fireroads. If they'd have wheels that were slow on asphalt (they are in fact really fast), they'd be near perfect.

BTW, I realize thousands or even millions inline with 70mm, but I just can't wrap my head around it. How unfun must that be on any surface?
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Cloxxki wrote:I realize thousands or even millions inline with 70mm, but I just can't wrap my head around it. How unfun must that be on any surface?

On good pavement it's fun for many people.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

cratermaker
xcskiforum 10K

Postby cratermaker » Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm

I use Jenex V2 rollers for 'touring', ie going from A to B along roads, pavements and tracks. These have speed reducers so that I can live to tell the tale on downhill road sections with bends !! I usually classic ski on these are they are heavy and don't skate well (but I do skate sections of the route on them). I can go all day on these, usually doing a cafe to cafe tour ;)

I use more trad rollers (Start) for dedicated training and although they are combi skis (ie have a ratchet wheel for classic) I usually skate on these (Pilot skate binding). I need a much better surface for these and do laps/circuits rather than tours because of this need for good surface.

Never used inlines. I'm too old and not good looking enough for them! :)

jasper110
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Roller skis...a quick bit of advice!

Postby jasper110 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 am

Coop8640 wrote:Guys with the summer months approaching i was thinking of continuing to improve my XC experience with a bit of roller skiing, but i was just wondering before i start on the actually roller skis themselves...would it be of any benefit to me to just start on some skates (I can skate!) to get the technique and the motions and generally just get used to it?

Thankyou :)!

if you already have skates then there's nothing wrong with practicing technique (to some degree) and timing. try without poles but mimicking the action, this will keep the speed down.

if you can already rollerblade and are comfortable with it, you should move onto rollerskis. you'll find it quite different and should start with simple drills to help improve balance and agility; scooting, figure 8, slaloms on the flat etc. build up a real good foundation so you can skate comfortably without poles (free skate) before you introduce poles. The foundation is in the footwork, and you’ll want to nail it before moving on. You could spend months doing this but hey, its spring and there’s plenty time before the winter comes again and it will payback once you’re on snow.

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 pm

+1 on the rollerskiing.

Lots of good advice here. Not everyone will be as interested in touring on them as Cratermaker, but still, getting out on rollerskis can definitely help.

I would follow the advice about practicing on them. Master maneuvering and stopping, then work on balance. Try gliding on one ski as long as you can. Ski without poles-mastering this will help from using your poles as crutches. There are a lot of good videos on you tube.

Finally, don't get discouraged! Be patient. I learned this the hard way.

Coop8640
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Coop8640 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Thank-you for the advice everyone, I think i'll skip the roller blades and try and at least master rollerskis! I'm moving out from sweden in 5 weeks so hopefully I can continue in England!

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 pm

I ran across a site called rollerski.co.UK that you may be interested in.

Looks like roller skiing is popular in the UK.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”