classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot skiers

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

1094essex
xcskiforum 10K
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 am

classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot skiers

Postby 1094essex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Length of skis for classic/diagonal stride in 20-60K tours/races? The boss and I just did our first 40K tour/race. We were touring most were racing. Suzy has done 18 running marathons and I have football roots that go back to my first high school helmet which was leather with a single bar and well some say the two of us are, too competitive. Oh I forgot, we also pay our taxes. Anywho, it seemed as though this Sunday going from the eastern shore of Flagstaff Lake to the XC Center at Sugarloaf that all the cheaters who preceded us had shorter skis. Never thought it was that big a deal. Yet we ran into a number of short steep rises were the only option was herring-boning. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs and was on Fisher 200 cm skis. The boss is 5'5" and 120 and on 182cm Atomics. Both are waxable skis. Could we get by with shorter skis so that when we have a steep climb we are not always stepping on our ski tails? Thanks, Gary

User avatar
Montana
World Cup
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Choteau, Montana
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby Montana » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Congrats on doing the race. hope you had a fun time.

I'm 6'0" and ski on Fischer 207 cm skis. I don't step on my ski tails when I herringbone.
Last edited by Montana on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

User avatar
squawky
xcskiforum 10K
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:45 am

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby squawky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 pm

There must be a knack to it because I sometimes do and sometimes don't step on my tails when herring boning. I am a solid five foot seven and I use 200cm - video resources anyone ??

User avatar
nxski
World Cup
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby nxski » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm

On a very steep hill you widen your stance and will step on the tails, on less of an incline you won't need to have such a wide "v" and therefor will not step on the tails.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

User avatar
Montana
World Cup
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Choteau, Montana
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby Montana » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 am

nxski wrote:On a very steep hill you widen your stance and will step on the tails, on less of an incline you won't need to have such a wide "v" and therefor will not step on the tails.

When going up a hill you life one ski over the top of the other and put it down so that the tail is uphill of the other skis tail. You do not have to step on the tails when herringboning up a hill.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

User avatar
nxski
World Cup
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby nxski » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 am

Montana wrote:
nxski wrote:On a very steep hill you widen your stance and will step on the tails, on less of an incline you won't need to have such a wide "v" and therefor will not step on the tails.

When going up a hill you life one ski over the top of the other and put it down so that the tail is uphill of the other skis tail. You do not have to step on the tails when herringboning up a hill.


My bad, I was thinking skate, not classic.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

User avatar
Montana
World Cup
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Choteau, Montana
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby Montana » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am

Yep, looking at my skate skis I notice that there a marks on the tops of the skis as well as on the edge of the bases indicating to me that the skis clash or slide over each other on uphills. But on my classic skis I see very few marks. Even though the skate skis are shorter I must be putting one ski on top of another when going up steep uphills.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

User avatar
nxski
World Cup
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: classic ski length for sensitive, warm fuzzy, zeolot ski

Postby nxski » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Montana wrote:Yep, looking at my skate skis I notice that there a marks on the tops of the skis as well as on the edge of the bases indicating to me that the skis clash or slide over each other on uphills. But on my classic skis I see very few marks. Even though the skate skis are shorter I must be putting one ski on top of another when going up steep uphills.


That sounds right, if you step up too high you can't get glide out of the skis.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling


Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests