Salomon Profil or Pilot Bindings?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

zzzz
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zzzz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56 am

nordic1 wrote:So, bottom line, will the Fischer centrix pilot boots work with the Profile bindings, or will the front pins bend as well? This would be for classic. I am fed up dealing with Pilot classic's freezing up.

I use my Centrix skate boots in Profil bindings (with trimmed down bumper). Works great.

kayakfit
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Salomon Profil or Pilot Bindings?

Postby kayakfit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 pm

I called Salomon to ask about getting a replacement hook for an old Salomon Pilot binding, the yellow and black one. Their representative, who clearly spoke English as a second language (because I could barely understand him through the accent), said that they don't carry any parts anything older than six years. He didn't seem inclined to try to help.

I disagree with a preceding assertion that Pilot boots fit on Profile bindings. The secondary boot bar gets high centered on the ridge that runs the length of the binding. Profile boots will fit on Pilot bindings, however.

If any of you have a solution to the broken hook problem--I'm referring to the hook on a Pilot binding that engages with the mid-foot bar of the boot--please let me know!

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:34 pm

kayakfit wrote:I called Salomon to ask about getting a replacement hook for an old Salomon Pilot binding, the yellow and black one. Their representative, who clearly spoke English as a second language (because I could barely understand him through the accent), said that they don't carry any parts anything older than six years. He didn't seem inclined to try to help.

I disagree with a preceding assertion that Pilot boots fit on Profile bindings. The secondary boot bar gets high centered on the ridge that runs the length of the binding. Profile boots will fit on Pilot bindings, however.

If any of you have a solution to the broken hook problem--I'm referring to the hook on a Pilot binding that engages with the mid-foot bar of the boot--please let me know!

That would require replacing the binding unfortunately.

You can get an upgraded ridge plate that will allow a pilot boot to work in your profil bindings.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Loran » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:54 am

Totally agree with zzzz. I just add that Pilots bindings are *changing* the balance point of the ski, because they add weight behind the balance point. This is not much of an issue with skis, *if* they have been correctly screwed, a bit more rear to compensate that added weight. Otherwise the tail is likely to drag here and there. This is a major issue with (short) roller skis where the rear wheel will drag a lot. I've read some Italian increasing the spring tension inside the Pilot as workaround.

I moved back from Pilot bindings to Profil bindings on 2 out of 4 pairs of skating skis. For good.

Pilot boots (even the ones ("pro") whose bars are more rear) fits perfectly on Profil bindings. You may have to cut horizontally the top of the bumper to make it like it is now on brand new bindings . Because the nose of the boot is now engaging over it.

"normal" bars positioning : http://www.fitfanatics.com/site_media/m ... e_Boot.jpg
"rear" bars positioning : http://nordicskater.com/salomon/slabpro.jpg

Note that very old Profil model whose locker has higher shoulders are not compatible. That's the reason you may read different opinions on that matter.

Should Salomon be deciding to make Profil bindings and Pilot boots totally incompatible, I would entirely move to NNN....

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Loran wrote:Pilot boots (even the ones ("pro") whose bars are more rear) fits perfectly on Profil bindings. You may have to cut horizontally the top of the bumper to make it like it is now on brand new bindings . Because the nose of the boot is now engaging over it.

If you're referring to RS17 boots I would advise against that, it will significantly diminish the rebound you get from the front flexbit.

Nick Spurling

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Loran » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:01 am

Cutting horizontally the bumper of old Profil bindings will make it exactly like stock bumper of brand new bindings. According to the following page, cutting the bumper seems to be endorsed by Andrew Gerlach of Salomon Nordic North America.

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/news.asp? ... LpK1LRzWgw

Having said that, I'm OK if some people prefer Pilot bindings. At least we have a choice.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:22 pm

The flex bit in the new propulse bindings are place further forward and have different flex characteristics. You can trim the profil for RS10 and be fine, but trimming them for RS17 will cause you to lose most of the rebound.

Nick Spurling

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Loran » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:07 pm

I (as well as others, I think) am talking about skating bindings, not Classic.
The new, top-trimmed, skate bumper seems to be designed for RS17.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Loran wrote:I (as well as others, I think) am talking about skating bindings, not Classic.
The new, top-trimmed, skate bumper seems to be designed for RS17.

Yes, I understand that. The new flex bit is designed to work with RS17, but it still doesn't do a great job. I have trimmed flex bits for people too and have had them return for pilot bindings within weeks. The other issue is that the front bar in a pilot boot is 1mm wider than it is in a profil boot, so there is play in the binding. I have trimmed flex bits on my jumping skis, because I anticipate breaking them and didn't want to invest much, but when I take a hard corner, but heel will rotate out and off of the ridge plate. I bring up propulse because it has a single connection point, the flex is appropriate for an RS17 boot and because the ridge plate is wider and taller - this works well for performance classic. There isn't a propulse option for skate and pilot bindings have been around for a long time, so it makes me wonder why one would invest so much in a high-end boot and not bother upgrading the binding!?

Nick Spurling

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Loran » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:19 am

Because, after many years using Pilots bindings, I realized the "downgrade" it is, by using again Profils bindings . As I said my next "upgrade" would be to switch to NNN...

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”