Speedmax

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Speedmax

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Ok, I picked up a couple pair of Speedmax. I test drove a skate pair last year and loved them, even when the flex was 92 kg (133% body wt)--way too stiff.

Classic
--------
Flex, 56% of body wt. It's hard to say much on a first ski, but these skis blew my mind. Wow. It's probably been 5 years since I've gotten a new set of classics (and I've gained 5 lbs), but the skis had zero drag and good kick on a couple layers of V30 at 18F. I added a layer of V40 (blue extra) and the kick got better without any drag. Oh man, these skis are exciting. Zero drag? You're kidding me. They actually made me feel like I can classic ski. BTW, these are a 902 flex but I think they'll work better than my other skis in any conditions.

Skaters
--------
Flex, 124% of body wt. I've been getting new Fischer skate skis pretty regular, and I'm mainly a skater, so these skis didn't give me any surprises. The flex I picked is fairly stiff, but the ski had a very elastic, supple feel in the tips and tails. I cranked it up for one hill on hard pack, and the skis seemed to climb better than normal and carry their speed over the top. They also had good stability compared to my softer skis. So it'll be interesting to see how these race, meaning I think I have to push hard to get them most of this stiff flex. On the first ski, I thought the ski felt like a 115 mold (sitting a bit behind the high point a bit). On the second ski I used a different set of boots and thought they felt like a 610 (which they are). So, similar feel to the Carbolite soft track, but a more elastic feel.

I'm selling 4 pairs of skis flexed at about 135 to 140 lbs (a bit soft, particularly on the classic). I'm hoping to sell a few pair and buy another set of classic!

Jay

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Speedmax

Postby Raubie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks, Jay.

Any more thoughts having raced on them this season?

My classic Carbonlites don't get much use lately, but I'm considering new skates. I'd love to demo the Speedmax (and the new Madshus Redlines).

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:44 am

At the beginning of the season, the skis were really fast and I was loving them. Then our season (last year) ended up being a cold one. The whole thing could have been raced on a fine grind and one set of skis...all the way through the Pepsi in March. The Speedmax just didn't seem to be as fast in the cold snow as my other pairs. I kind of chalked that up to a higher camber and the "unknown" factory grind. The grind looks great, and I've heard really good things about how it performs, but I think it was better suited to upper teens and 20s snow than for 0 to 5F.

I got the pair reground this year mainly so I had a "known grind." (That may have been a mistake ask I've heard it's hard to top the factory grind.) Actually, I got all my skaters regound. I'm getting a fine grind by one shop on a pair of Carbonlites and a fine grind by a second shop on a very similar set of Carbonlites hoping to find a touch more speed in cold snow.

Hopefully we'll have some races this year with plenty of snow and 20s F! Then I'll race the Speedmax.

Jay

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:41 pm

I have heard the same story from many people regarding the speed max not performing well in cold snow. A top Fischer racer and major Fischer shop told me that they believe the speed max cold bonded base isn't good in cold snow because it is too soft.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”